UAW-Ford strike in 1967

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

UAW-Ford strike in 1967

Post by FORDification »

After reading a blurb in a new (to me) '68 dealer's brochure about a strike in the latter part of '67, I got to doing some research online, and have found out some interesting facts.

Anyway, the United Auto Workers (UAW) union called a company-wide strike on Sept. 6, 1967, when the current UAW-Ford contract expired, which temporarily put a halt to auto/truck production nationwide. 150,000-160,000 Ford workers represented by the UAW went on strike, which continued until Oct 22, 1967. It was said that Ford lost more than 600,00 vehicles in all divisions due to the strike.

Here are a few other things I've found online this evening while researching this out:
It was clear from the beginning that the aim of the 1967 Ford strike was not to hurt the company. Maintenance crews remained after the walkout to close down all furnaces and properly secure all machinery so as to insure an orderly and rapid return to production when the strike ended. Supervisory personnel was allowed through the picket lines at all times.

After the strike had gone on for a month, UAW top officials agreed to reopen three struck Ford plants. These were parts plants that supply American Motors Corporation. This decision came as soon as an AMC official notified Ford and the UAW that his firm was running out of parts and might have to close before the end of October.

UAW officials also agreed in the first days of October to open picket lines and allow parts shipments at two Ford installations in the Detroit area: the National Parts Depot in Livonia and the Detroit Parts Depot. Ford produces a variety of vehicles and parts for the Army, and the Pentagon had claimed that parts were urgently needed to prevent shortages at the Vietnam war front. UAW officials hastened to release all needed parts, unmindful of the effect on the strike.
-Source-
I'm still researching this some more, and will probably include a page on the site discussing the strike as I find more detailed information.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
victimofwv

Post by victimofwv »

That is interesting. A while back my dad and I were discussing 67-72 trucks. Seems my grandpa was in the market for a new 68 F100 shortbed, and was trading in his 58 Chevy Apache. At the time no Ford dealers around had any trucks. And my grandpa ended up with a red 67 F100 Custom Cab shortbed with a 240 and 3 speed. So I guess this was due to the strike.
67 F250 HighBoy 4X4
70 F100 LWB Explorer
66 Fairlane GTA
78 F250 Lowboy
44 Ford US Navy Cargo truck
96 Harley Heritage Softail
34 years old and no money saved for retirement!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

so UAW screwed (pardone` mau language`) Us out of how many parts vehicles? Annd is it that UAW was the foremost reason for amc's eventual closure in the not to distant future at that time over small details?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Strange how something that long ago affects us now...I mean that is at least 1000 trucks right?
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: UAW-Ford strike in 1967

Post by GT-Racer »

I wonder now if this new info could shed some light on the subtle differences in our trucks of the same year? :hmm:
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)