swaybars

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

swaybars

Post by dotcentral »

A friend of mine knows someone getting ready to junk a 78 F100. I'm going to take a visit and grab a few things. Do these trucks ususally have swaybars? Front and rear or just front? How hard to remove with simple hand tools? Thanks.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: swaybars

Post by FORDification »

Actually, they usually DON'T have swaybars...they weren't a standard item, but are most often found on certain models like the Camper Special. If you ever find any swaybars on any '67-'79 pickup, be SURE to grab them!

We just had a whole discussion on swaybars back in THIS THREAD. Be sure to read it, as I also scanned and posted an exploded-view schematic of the '73-'79 swaybars, for visual reference.

Removing the bar itself and the end links would be easy and can be done in just a few minutes with basic hand tools. However, the bracket assembly which the end links attach to are going to require a bit more work to remove, since they wrap around the I-beam and under the front spring. But they're probably the most important thing to grab, as these things are not easy to find, and the swaybar is useless with them. (This is for the '73-'79 trucks...trucks in our era are possibly equipped with a swaybar that extends between the radius arms, and are just as rare but aren't as popular, due to interference problems when installing headers.)

Just for the record: I'm looking for an original front swaybar setup from a '73-'79 truck, but would have to include ALL mounting hardware, including the bar, link assemblies and bracket assemblies.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!