Installing Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb on 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Rocky390

Installing Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb on 390

Post by Rocky390 »

Hi all, newbie here.

Would installing a new Edelbrock intake manifold and 4 bbl carb be something that a typical novice gearhead could perform on a 390 FE?

I'm not a mechanic, but I can do basic things like change spark plugs, change out valve cover gaskets, etc. Given that I'm able to perform these basic tasks, is it safe to assume I could change out the carb and intake manifold myself?

Sorry for the very general question, just trying to get some input before I get too deep into a driveway project... I'm sure some of you can understand.

Thanks in advance for any input!
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Installing Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb on 390

Post by cep62 »

Welcome to our site.
:wel:
Well it's not rocket surgery but there are some steps that need to be followed.
It would be a good idea to read some manuals before you start.
The 390s pushrods go through the intake so be careful not to mix them up.
Now the question , why? If you're going to put on a 600cfm 4bbl you can save money and put a 500cfm 2bbl on the stock intake.
If your motor is stock you probably won't notice the missing 100 cfm.
And post back with any more questions , it's a little slow around here but we try not to steer you wrong.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If you have suffienct tools (a torque wrench and maybe a right angle adapter, timing light) and the ability to follow directions its shouldn't be a problem.

Check out Brents You tube (Lykins Motorsports) and the Christ book and Barry R book.

Order an oil pump drive shaft too there's a fair chance you may lose it into the oil pan.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Rocky390

Post by Rocky390 »

cep62 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:50 pm Welcome to our site.
:wel:
Well it's not rocket surgery but there are some steps that need to be followed.
It would be a good idea to read some manuals before you start.
The 390s pushrods go through the intake so be careful not to mix them up.
Now the question , why? If you're going to put on a 600cfm 4bbl you can save money and put a 500cfm 2bbl on the stock intake.
If your motor is stock you probably won't notice the missing 100 cfm.
And post back with any more questions , it's a little slow around here but we try not to steer you wrong.
Gents, thanks for the replies. Based off the feedback, I think I may opt with leaving my stock intake and just going with a new carb. I watched a few tutorials, and it appears as if replacing the carb is something I should be able to tackle on my own without having a brain aneurysm.

So....with that said. An Edelbrock performance 4bbl carb would would on my stock 390 intake, correct?

Comparatively-speaking and performace-wise... what does a 4bbl carb offer that a 2bbl does not?

Thanks again for your inputs.
20240216_105703.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Holley 500 cfm 2BBL is the popular (perhaps only) choice.

No point in putting a 4bbl on the stock manifold with adapters or such.

Little point in a 4bbl on a performer or stockish manifold without other mods like cam and headers. If you’re going to go to the trouble of changing the manifold I personally would do a blue thunder or Edelbrock RPM.

Headers, exhaust cam you biggest gains with 4 BBL.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

Just to clarify things...
You currently have a stock 2bbl manifold, right?
If yes then get a 500CFM 2bbl carb, for a Ford FE engine. Different trucks have different linkage attachments on the side of the carb for both the throttle and the transmission kick down linkage. )
The choke on a newer carb will likely be electric, you did not state the year of the truck so if it uses a manual choke linkage you will need a carb that accepts a manual linkage, or you will need to run a separate +12V switched ignition wire out to the carb to run the electric choke.
Also as you might see in the videos, there is an adapter plate under the carb that provides carb heat when cold and may also keep the throttle linkage from hitting the manifold. Make sure you look at what you have now and what you will need to attach the new carb.

While there is a temptation to put a 600CFM or larger carb on the engine, as pointed out above you need to change at least the exhaust and probably the cam. A bigger carb inlet will need a way to flow the air through the engine and then out through the exhaust. Exhaust restriction negates any improvement in intake.

Also for a heavy truck, you will want to select a carb that is a little toward smaller than bigger or you will risk disappointment in the results.