Repair vs Replace Harness 67 F100

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

This_Guy_Did_A_Thing

Repair vs Replace Harness 67 F100

Post by This_Guy_Did_A_Thing »

Hi all,

I recently started restoring a new to me 1967 F100. The fellow who owned it before me definitely went to town bypassing the fuse box and cutting up the wires.

Like I am sure a lot of you have asked yourselves, is it better to replace the harness or repair? I'd prefer to repair and wire in a new fuse box, but I thought I would get some expert advice. Thanks!

This_Guy_Did_A_Thing
This_Guy_Did_A_Thing

Frederick, MD
-------------------------------------
1967 F100 2WD
Jbarnes79

Re: Repair vs Replace Harness 67 F100

Post by Jbarnes79 »

Whatever you decide, keep in mind these new replacement harnesses don't support the Amp gauge; at least to my knowledge. There is a guy who will convert your gauge to work as a volt meter for a reasonable price if you do decide to replace your harness.
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
Fraser

Re: Repair vs Replace Harness 67 F100

Post by Fraser »

Presumably, the P O was planning to install a painfull wiring harness, this is an option if your plan is for a bunch of add ons, but not really needed for a mostly stock truck. A good, used harness will be hard to find, I may have one, but they are all getting pretty old, and most have had some tampering over the years.
The gauge issue can likely be mitigated by cutting those wires from the old harness and just running them parallel to the new one.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.