re: 1973 F100 Left Cab Corner Search

Private parties only. No eBay/Craigslist listings.

Moderator: FORDification

webbervillecarnut

re: 1973 F100 Left Cab Corner Search

Post by webbervillecarnut »

Does anyone know where I can locate a suitable cab corner to patch a rotten corner? This Taiwanese stuff is absolute crap. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Fraser

Re: re: 1973 F100 Left Cab Corner Search

Post by Fraser »

From what I can find, they're all crap, and it's a very difficult piece to hand form. I had to buy the horribly oversized thing and cut 3/4 inch out at the front, then re-form the wraparound. Worked out in the long run, but it sure would be nice to get what you're paying for. I also had to cut an inch off the bottom, there is an "S" shaped extension that was never on the factory part.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Is there only one brand? Which did you use?

https://carolina-classics.com/collectio ... ar-1973-79

IDK about the 73 - 79s. They may be all generic.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

There are a number of brands, but they probably come from just a couple of sources, the ones I used had 2 stickers, Key parts, and Pro body parts. I am in Canada, and the most common ones here are Cross Canada body parts, they have a U.S. branch as well. I have no fondness for them and tried this other source but was still unhappy.
DSCF1838.JPG
It was over 10 years ago, but this is all I could use, anything higher was too much or too little curve, as I mentioned, I had to cut off the front flange and reform the part that wraps into the doorjamb.
The ones in your link have some differences, so I'm sure they come from another source.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

I have liked the Key Parts panels I have used in the past.
And yes I have had to re-form the foldover edges before. Almost like the parts are provided for just slapping them over the top of the damage and welding them on.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Well, to be fair they are designed a bit oversized, to "cap" the rust, and too much material is definitely better than too little. I removed all the old, so that made it worse. They are fairly cheap, and a lot easier than trying to hand form a patch, so it was worth buying them, but I think they should have been made more precise.
I recently bought Keystone fenders for my '84, despite the name similarity I am sure that is a different company, I guess I will find out how they fit next summer.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.