1969 F250 Camper Special Wiring Mess (Turn Signals)

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

keithcahill

1969 F250 Camper Special Wiring Mess (Turn Signals)

Post by keithcahill »

Fellas,
I brought home a 69 F250 last week that somebody had really been into the harness on. I managed to straighten most of it out and get the ignition, all the lights, the wipers work, and the brake lights to work. I can not get the Emergency Flasher or Turn signals to work, here are the facts:

1. there is power on the 12V blue wiring going to the turn signal switch, but when i operate it the switch nothing goes out.
2. If i supply 12V power from a 12V source to that same blue wire and operate the switch the lights will come on and the turn indicators will come on
3. the previous owner had the NSS unplugged and some of those wires jumpered
4. the 20 amp fuse in the fusebox looks like the terminal broke so there is some stuff jumpered there also.
5. there are 3 random wires i cant figure out, a red/blue and red/green coming from the engine bay, and a red and white off the ignition switch.

So i am guessing the issue is between the fusebox and the flashers, but when i check the flashers there is 12V where there is supposed to be, and i have replaced both flashers. Any input on what to check next would be appreciated.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 Camper Special Wiring Mess (Turn Signals)

Post by cep62 »

:wel:
Welcome to our site.
You might try pulling the steering wheel and really clean things up , or you might need a new switch.
On my plow truck that sits all summer I usually need to work the lever a bit before every thing works.
keithcahill

Post by keithcahill »

Thanks for the welcome!

I did take the switch out and test that it would pass voltage and make good contact after reading some other posts. The switch is fine and after some further trouble shooting today if i supply 12V to the switch i can make everything work it just doesnt flash. I am pretty sure i am missing voltage to the flashers. When i test the wires going to the flasher relays should i have 12V on one of the wires or both?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... _81-85.jpg
maybe this might help , there's a lot more on the home page , under technical articles