Hey gang! New '69 250 here

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

kger

Hey gang! New '69 250 here

Post by kger »

Hello Fordification! Great to find a resource like this and I'm looking forward to diving in and contributing.

I just picked up a '69 F250 2WD that began life as a camper special and was recently overhauled quite a bit. It's a lot of firsts for me: First truck, first Ford, first pre 70's vehicle, first V8 and American car (since my Jeep ZJ in high school), first vintage ride that someone else restored.... the list goes on. I found it on Bring-a-Trailer (where I spend way too much time) and had to have it, I'll drop the auction link below where you can see tons of pics and some info.

I love bumps, but especially love the details on the '69s. I do most of my own work when time allows and look forward to learning something entirely new. The truck is mostly original/unmolested except for a replacement bed, new paint in the original Light Ivy Yellow (which might be my favorite car color, period), taller rear end, and some light engine work (stroked to 390 I think, Pertronix, headers, Holley 4bbl, edelbrock intake).

I have a few questons right off the bat if anyone wants to point me in the right direction. Otherwise, I'll search around and make new posts where needed:

-Mechanic and locals: I'm in Fairfax, CA in Marin Hottubber County. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great mechanic in the North Bay Area that really knows these trucks. Good to have on speed dial when needed. Are there any members in the area?
-Installing 3-point belts: I'm considering this given everyone is staring at their phones and driving 4 row SUVs these days. I don't seem to have captured nuts and plugs in my cab. Are there threads here or tips on installing these yourself, or best to bring to a pro?
-LED tail lights and front indicators: Is anyone running just replacement LED bulbs for these lights and have tips on relays or resistors to make them work? I like swapping these bulbs into old cars for safety and durability while keeping the stock housings, but they bonked the flashers when installed at all 4 corners.
-Obvious upgrades: What are the table-stakes mods and improvements most do to these trucks? I assume the Pertronix upgrade is common, but is there anything else that is a no brainer in a truck that isn't 100% original to improve reliability, safety, and performance without spoiling the original character of the truck?

Thanks!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-f-250-22/
1969_ford_f-250_1969_ford_f-250_7db7caca-0acb-4b2c-bcca-cb7f0ae4d980-bh2u1s-95632-35631 Large.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jbarnes79

Re: Hey gang! New '69 250 here

Post by Jbarnes79 »

Welcome Kger!
:wel:

That is a beautiful truck you have there and I have to agree with you about the 69. You can check out my '69 4x4 build thread linked below if you're interested. I do enjoy showing her off :D

There is a ton of info on this forum that can be found with the search function that will help you with most of your specific questions. I'm also a fan of reliability. Personally I find it hard to beat a Pertronix ignition and electronic Carb. such as the Holley sniper and front disk brakes. If you haven't got much experience tuning the old school Carb. and ignition it can be quite frustrating. I'm still a bit of a rookie at it and I think that's probably where most of my hair loss came from when I started trying to learn how to do it. :doh:
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

:wel:
You’ve come to the right place. Tons of great technical information archived here by the owner, and searching the message threads will turn ip invaluable info.
I added 3 point belts to mine years back. There are a bunch of threads. All I had to do on mine was tap/thread the existing mounting locations on the upper rear cab corners. Here is one hood write up. viewtopic.php?t=50489
Raiver

Post by Raiver »

That's a neat and nice truck! Welcome aboard