Deciphering my engine tag

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Gaslight

Deciphering my engine tag

Post by Gaslight »

So I just got my engine tag out of the ultrasonic cleaner so I can read it. And I am having trouble using the sites webpage https://www.fordification.com/tech/engineIDtags.htm to decipher my tag. I have attached a picture of it. Its not formatted like the example shown on the page. And the page does not even list a 360 anywhere on it. Is this a familiar issue?

Jake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100 Ranger
zgerbic

Re: Deciphering my engine tag

Post by zgerbic »

Someone more expert than me can probably provide the factory answer but it looks like the chart of Engine Code Numbers /ID numbers is for engines that could be used in cars, and happen to be also used in trucks. There is a gap between 300 and 310 which I suspect are engines only used in trucks and so not on the car list. ECN/ID #301 is probably one of the 360 CID types in that missing range. There is probably a truck only list somewhere with many of the missing ECN/ID numbers.
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

Ha... found it. 301 to 309 are 360 V8s with Ford 2bbl carbs.
301 or K301 =
8 cylinder
360 CID
F-2 Carb (Ford 2 bbl)
Y warranty plate code
60.7 parts list number.

The rest is a bit easier to figure out.
First line = 360 CID, Dearborn (no letter code), 1969, change level 3
Second line = April 1969 build date, Engine code K 301 S
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Thank you for that! Didn't even occur to me that I did not see trucks on that list. Thank you for the breakdown. I knew it was the original engine and its always nice to have another verification of that.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I found this in a Ford service publication, not exactly what you wanted, but here it is anyway.
DSCF5774 (2).JPG
Basically says all 360s are code Y on the data plate, but nothing about the engine tag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

You're right. But only because I did not know it existed. Very cool find. That goes in my research folder.

Thank you.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger