Does my 69 F100 already have the newer left motor perch?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jtbinvalrico

Does my 69 F100 already have the newer left motor perch?

Post by jtbinvalrico »

Greetings.....I've read the power steering conversion tech article here many times, and it's very helpful. But I'm hoping someone can look at these photos and confirm my suspicion - I think my 69 F100 already has the later version of the left side motor perch needed to allow the Saginaw PS gear box to fit. This truck was born with a 360 and a manual trans, and was converted to a C6 auto at some point. Perhaps the later perch was used when it was built? Maybe a prior owner started a PS conversion project and never finished it? I do know that at some point someone did a lousy job of installing an EPAS unit. That bad workmanship caused many other issues - poor floor shift installation, linkage, and function; a hacked up oem manual column; hacked turn signals and horn; and a steering wheel that popped off once while driving. The fix is a proper PS conversion.

I guess the clearest way to know if this is the later perch is to know what it looks like in relation to the manual steering gear. But I just don't have enough familiarity with these to discern that. My ignorance on the subject means I'm having a hard time interpreting the photos in the tech article. An experienced eye will be able to call it immediately.....Thanks for looking.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jtbinvalrico

Re: Does my 69 F100 already have the newer left motor perch?

Post by jtbinvalrico »

Having become wiser and more educated than I was yesterday, I've come to see that the last six of my VIN are F30574, making it a June 1969 build and placing it in the Ford/Saginaw PS group....Quoting NumberDummy:

Bendix P/S: 1966/68 F100/250 2WD / 1969 F100/250 2WD before serial number D96,001.
Ford/Saginaw P/S: 1969 F100/250 2WD & F350 from serial number D96,001 / 1970/79 F100/250 2WD & F350.

Back to ordering parts.....