Aftermarket Gauges - constant voltage unit required?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

EasyE

Aftermarket Gauges - constant voltage unit required?

Post by EasyE »

Hey, all,

I have a 67 F100 and I’m installing aftermarket autometer gauges. All of these new gauges call for 12V, but I believe the stock Ford gauges used 5V from the constant voltage unit.

So I’m wondering if I can do away with the factory constant voltage unit and just wire 12V to the new gauges?

Thanks!

-Eric
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Aftermarket Gauges - constant voltage unit required?

Post by basketcase0302 »

=EasyE
Hey, all,

I have a 67 F100 and I’m installing aftermarket autometer gauges. All of these new gauges call for 12V, but I believe the stock Ford gauges used 5V from the constant voltage unit.

So I’m wondering if I can do away with the factory constant voltage unit and just wire 12V to the new gauges?

Thanks!

-Eric
Eric,
You still have to leave the IPVR=INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE REGULATOR in place for your gas guage to work.
All aftermarket guages will be different depending on what type and brand you've got, (you should have a wiring diagram that came with them so it would be useless for me to try to explain how to wire those no knowing what you have< (electrical or mechanical). But yes,99% of the time you'll need to splice into your gauge light harness to have the gauges illuminated when you turn the lights on.
This will explain the wiring for the OEM guages:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4