Carb gasket/spacer

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sharkdog

Carb gasket/spacer

Post by sharkdog »

In the process of rebuilding my carb but I took what I thought was the spacer of from under the carb I thought it was like hard plastic but it seems to be hard cardboard with reinforced bolt holes. Is this the actual spacer or some extra thick gasket? And can I get a replacement or am I suppose to carefully scrap the old gasket of this and reuse it? Here is a pic

Thanks pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Carb gasket/spacer

Post by basketcase0302 »

=sharkdog post_
In the process of rebuilding my carb but I took what I thought was the spacer of from under the carb I thought it was like hard plastic but it seems to be hard cardboard with reinforced bolt holes. Is this the actual spacer or some extra thick gasket? And can I get a replacement or am I suppose to carefully scrap the old gasket of this and reuse it? Here is a pic

Thanks pete
Pete,
That's a typical 2BBL EGR valve gasket off of the newer 70's and 80's model, (prob what someone could source or find easily).
You can clean it and reuse it, (I use lacquer thinner or alcohol as it leaves no residue) using some spray tack gasket sealer AS I'VE DONE MANY IN THE PAST. But if possible just get a new gasket, (they're usually less than $15) being your best bet.
Everything said and done once you restart the truck / with it running / take a can of starter fluid (many different sprays used for this but starter fluid leaves no residue for other issues) AND SPRAY ALL AROUND THE CARBURETOR GASKETS AND BASE GASKET TO CONFIRM YOU HAVE NO LEAKS.
If you have a leak on a gasket you'll hear a change in the engine RPM, (usually RPM's will increase). :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sharkdog

Re: Carb gasket/spacer

Post by sharkdog »

Thanks for the response have one on order and I assume this is in replace of the regular thin carb to spacer gasket? Also we d this wasn’t standard on my 70 could I just use the regular carb to spacer gasket that came in my rebuild kit or is there a benefit to useing this thick one?

Thanks again, Peter
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox