Manual steering disc brake swap

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

roboto65

Manual steering disc brake swap

Post by roboto65 »

Ok searched around and found nothing maybe I am wording it wrong. I have a 1968 manual steering 3 on the tree truck and got all the parts to do the disc brake swap minus the pitman arm from a 1979 disc brake truck. I know I need a pitman arm, but which one as I have manual steering and quite sure the 79 was power.
I will be using all new stuff but will the 79 power steering pitman arm fit the manual box. I am pretty sure I know the answer to that question, so which arm should I use and if anyone has said arm PM me.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Manual steering disc brake swap

Post by cep62 »

http://www.fordification.com/tech/technical-index.htm

Have you looked at the info on the home page ?
roboto65

Post by roboto65 »

Yes in great lengths they all mention power steering arms but no mention about manual steering arm on say a power steering tierod end.
This link mentions power steering arms being different but no mention of a manual arm.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/str-s ... ations.htm

I love this site and have read a bunch and refer to it often, but again did not see mention if the manual steering shaft is different than the power steering shaft other than the 2 different power steering pitman arms as far as the angle and size of the hole the tierod end goes into.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to by 'steering arm', but the power steering box has it's own Pitman arm, while the manual steering box has it's own Pitman arm. They are not interchangeable. There is no difference in the rest of the steering linkage (tie rod, drag link) between manual and power steering, they are interchangeable within the same model year. You linked above to the page that showed the change in steering components in 1971, so as long as you're aware of that and source your parts accordingly, you're good to go.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
roboto65

Re: Manual steering disc brake

Post by roboto65 »

Thanks for the reply what I am referring to is I have a 1968 manual steering F100 3 on the tree. I got everything off a 1979 F100 except the “Pitman arm” which you say would not work on the manual box anyway.

Will the steering linkage, ie whatever goes in the pitman arm off the 79 probably power steering. Will it fit into the 68 manual steering “Pitman” arm?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The page you linked to shows the different angles of the early PS Pitman arm (casting # C9TA-3590-E) and the later PS Pitman arm (casting # D2TA-3590-BA). The early Pitman arm will work with the '68 pieces and will fit the Saginaw PS box. The later Pitman arm will not work with the '68 steering linkage. Everything has to match...early Pitman arm with early steering linkage, or later Pitman arm with later steering linkage.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Generalee0527

Post by Generalee0527 »

:wel:
I understand your question but don't yet have a personal answer to give. I am also in the middle of adding disc brakes from a '78. When I pulled the i-beams from the pick n pull, I also forgot the pitman arm. Luckily it was still there 2 weeks later so I went and snagged it. I know it is beefier than the stock one on my manual steering '68. My understanding is the concern is the newer drag link/tie rod joints have a bigger taper that our '68 rods won't work with. Unless I am mistaken, the moog rods work with both tapers making it work with your stock pitman arm. I am stuck at the re-assembly of the strut rod bushing into the rear mount. Moog bushing doesn't quite fit and I attempted to force it with my ball joint press but I ran out of want to mess with it and it still sits with squeeze applied. This part time hobby can't catch a break.
68 Ranger. 302 Clevor w/ 3 on tree, soon to have front disc brakes.