FMX in 1968 F100

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

rfp23

FMX in 1968 F100

Post by rfp23 »

I have a 351c FMX transmission out of a Mustang. What about changing the bell housing and installing it in my 1968 F100? It’s free and I’m having trouble finding a C6 for my FE engine. Thoughts!

Thsnks
Rubber side down, RFP23
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: FMX in 1968 F100

Post by fastEdsel »

There is a big difference between a FMX and a C4 transmission which I think is what came out of the Mustang. The FMX is hydraulically shifted from inside the transmission and the C4, C6 family have a vacuum modulator shifting system that tames down the shift from shifting to any gear from Park or Neutral. Also the bell housings and starters are way different. My '59 Edsel Corsair has the FMX 3 speed automatic and the shifting is quite pronounced, especially when watching some kid in his so called hopped up Camaro disappear from my rear view mirror. :thup: Assuming of course the transmission you have is a C4 it will work in your project, just make sure of the bell housing part number and the flywheel/flexplate are correct. :) The shift indicator for the 3 speed FMX reads P-R-N-D2-D1-L. The C4 should read P-R-N-D-2-L. Good luck, keep in touch. 8)
6Delta

Re: FMX in 1968 F100

Post by 6Delta »

I'm not sure exactly what you are concerned about but I have had experience with 2 FMX transmissions in my life. One in my 2nd car, a 1963 Mercury S55 Convertible with a 390/4 barrel and 1 in my 1964 Ford F100 (my dad and I put the drive train out of a 1974 Torino Elite with the 351 Windsor in it). The transmissions held up fine and I drove them both very hard. Ford installed an awful lot of FMX transmissions.

If it is free and set up for a Cleveland it should work fine for average use. The C4 and C6 are different and many will say better but for your day to day use you will not probably notice the difference. With the torque of the FE I went through 3rd members regularly in my Mercury and should have installed a posi but I was 16 and could get a replacement at the junkyard for $25.

We had to have a short section of driveshaft made for the pickup but otherwise the installation was easy. We even used the stock shift linkage from the Torino and connected it to a new hole drilled in the column's shift arm. The pickup originally had a 292 with an automatic which was also basically a FMX but since it was older we went with the 1974, newer one with fewer mileage.

I would probably use it since the price is right. I do not think anything you may have to modify for installation could not be reversed if you wanted to down the road. I would suspect it will install with little difficulty. Good luck.
No Brain - No Pain
71 F250 Sport Custom Camper Special
71 Ranchero Squire
70 Ranchero GT (Red w/351C 4V
70 Ranchero GT (Black w/302+)
03 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750 (Widowmaker)
75 Firebird 400
71 XKE FHC 4.2
04 XJ8 4.2