Exhaust leak - how urgent to repair?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Exhaust leak - how urgent to repair?

Post by basketcase0302 »

Won't gain friends here with this but this was always one of the main reasons, (and the oil pan gasket) why I was never a fan of the FE series engines Ford produced. The inline 6 also has always had similar issues with keeping exhaust manifold sealed, (it's so...long with so many bolt holes). Wake up that engine, (and forever get rid of the "log manifold" issues by putting some good quality long tube headers on the truck, (I'd plan that if/when the FE gets pulled for a rebuild). :wink:

Not for the timid but I've actually had to take a cutting torch and blow out exhaust bolts before like this, (AFTER yanking the carb / getting all gas lines drained in the engine compartment / using fire proofing all over the engine compartment). :eek:

That's a lot of work, congrats on moving forward! :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

basketcase0302 wrote:Wake up that engine, (and forever get rid of the "log manifold" issues by putting some good quality long tube headers on the truck, (I'd plan that if/when the FE gets pulled for a rebuild).
That sounds like a plan for the future for sure! And I share your frustration with the FE manifold bolts, now that I've struggled with them.
basketcase0302 wrote:Not for the timid but I've actually had to take a cutting torch and blow out exhaust bolts before like this
If you'd been here, I'd have let you take a whack at it! I don't have an Oxy-Acetylene rig myself. I've used one back in my appliance repair and HVAC days... which I see you have decades of experience in. If I was still in the business, I'm sure I'd be tapping your knowledge in that, too :D
basketcase0302 wrote:That's a lot of work, congrats on moving forward!
Thanks, it was, and it was worth it. Getting closer...
-------
Chris
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=96617
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
3-on-the-floor and I hope to return it to 3-on-the-tree
49k on odometer... actual? Anyone's guess :)
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

Big news, and I won't bury the headline: the manifold is in, and it sounds great! :woohoo:

I couldn't have done it without y'all's advice and encouragement! I can't thank everyone from the thread here by name, but you all played a part in my success.
fastEdsel wrote:After the bolts are out I run a thread tap through the bolt holes just real gentle to have a smooth re-assembly.
fastEdsel, that is great advice! I did that on all the holes (well except the ones I drilled out :D ) and it did make reassembly so much easier - especially on the one with a helicoil. It had been a bear to get that one out, and getting the new bolt in before I ran the tap through made it clear it would be a fight again. Patient work with the tap, and it was a breeze when I did the actual mounting - thanks!
fastEdsel wrote:Use new bolts, flat washers and lock washers and an anti seize on the bolts because there may be a time when you may have to do this all over again, yup been there, done that!
Followed your instructions. As they say, always think about the next guy. Because you ARE the next guy.

After cleaning up the head surface, you could see the damage/pitting to the front port. Also, note the heli-coil from someone's previous pain in the past.
front port.jpg
The other ports looked a lot better.
rear port.jpg
I went with the Remflex gasket - they look quite effective and I have high hopes for its longevity and ability to deal with the pitting.

I used all new stainless steel bolts, and Nord-lock washers for the 6 original bolts. For the two through-bolt/nut holes, I went with 5/16" bolts and standard lock washers. Added some high-temp anti-seize to make it easier next time, and torqued all to the Remflex-suggested 25 lb-ft, starting with the middle bolts and working out from there.
manifold.jpg
A long journey, but worthwhile.

While attaching the exhaust pipe to the flange it became clear all three exhaust hangers had broken. I hung the pipe temporarily until I figure out the next solution...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------
Chris
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=96617
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
3-on-the-floor and I hope to return it to 3-on-the-tree
49k on odometer... actual? Anyone's guess :)