'68 f-250 oil filter relocate

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

tg11350

'68 f-250 oil filter relocate

Post by tg11350 »

I did a few searches on this topic and couldn't find anything, so...... I'm about ready to pull the 390fe out of my 1968 project. With the current oil filter location on the lower front left side of the block, just forward of the dip stick, it is directly over the front cross member. Hence, the cross member and driver side frame are literally coated with an inch of oil crud from 52 years of changing oil. Plus I cannot even get a filter wrench on the filter since there is less than an inch of clearance between the cross member and the filter. The drain plug is an issue as well but I'll fix that when I get the engine out of the truck. Since this is my first Ford project, I have no idea if this is original. If it is, this not the the best engineering I've ever seen. I need to move the location of the filter. I've looked at adaptors that various e-tailers sell so I have an idea it can be done. So I'm asking for advice. Who's done it? What was the best way for your application? What parts work best? I hope I have explained this clearly.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
cstoyer

Re: '68 f-250 oil filter relocate

Post by cstoyer »

You can change the truck spin on filter mount for the car spin on filter mount. The car has the filter vertical instead of horizontal. I'm not sure what 250 you are working on but on the 4x4 it fits fine. I used the car type on my FE in my 68 f250 4x4 truck.

Here is the link for a Scott Drake Repop on Summits Page

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk- ... q0QAvD_BwE

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

cstoyer wrote:You can change the truck spin on filter mount for the car spin on filter mount. The car has the filter vertical instead of horizontal. I'm not sure what 250 you are working on but on the 4x4 it fits fine. I used the car type on my FE in my 68 f250 4x4 truck.

Here is the link for a Scott Drake Repop on Summits Page

CStoyer
X2

The vertical filter, with either the stock style filter or a shorter one will keep things clean and not force the engine to push oil all the way through a remote before it gets to the main oil galley to the cam tunnel and then mains. The remotes often combine a late arrival of oil combined with a slight loss of pressure. I try to talk guys out of it when I can
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
tg11350

Post by tg11350 »

In the interest of being complete in the explanation of my current setup, the filter is currently vertical, AND the oil pressure sending unit is on top of the filter adaptor.

The summit racing link shown above will still work?

Thanks,

Tony
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Okay, so you have the car set up, which I think is pretty good. If you want and I have done this is take some HVAC sheet metal from the local big box store and fabricate a drip pan to hang over the cross member and direct dripping oil to your catch pan. I think the build up you have is from sloppy oil changes and could be avoided this way or simply wiped up after the new filter is in place. As far as the drain plug if your truck is a 2wd and you have the 2wd front sump pan you can switch it to a rear sump 4x4 pan to move the drain plug back. Just make sure you get the pick up and dip stick for the rear sump pan.

PS the link you attached did not work.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

cstoyer wrote:As far as the drain plug if your truck is a 2wd and you have the 2wd front sump pan you can switch it to a rear sump 4x4 pan to move the drain plug back. Just make sure you get the pick up and dip stick for the rear sump pan.
Another cool fix for oil pan drain mess.
https://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65249
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.