1970 F250 D44 axle help.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Lee

1970 F250 D44 axle help.

Post by Lee »

Hi all,

My 1970 F250 Highboy (owned 20yrs) has a problem that is slowly getting worse. On the passenger side, oil is getting slung out onto the wheel from the Warn lock-out hub..

There is an o-ring to seal the Warn hub to the wheel hub and I have replaced the O-ring for the Warn hub x2 .... no help and the problem is slowly getting worse. Funny, Driver's side is fine. Yesterday, I took the Warn hub apart to replace the o-ring again and noticed that the hub is completely full of oil. I completely removed the Warn locking hub components to clean out all the oil.

This is when I noticed that when I push/pull the axle shaft sticking out of the hub,... I get movement... both up/down, left/right and also almost 1/4" in/out. Is this normal? How much is normal?

Looking at the parts breakdown,... there is no oil seal in the spindle to prevent the oil that lubricates the wipers on the big ball joint from going into the wheel's hub around the axle shaft. The spindle does have a bronze bushing the axle shaft goes thru though. My bushing doesn't look to bad but I have no idea how many miles are on it as I have never replaced it. Maybe it is causing all of the "play" of the axle shaft I mentioned.??? I am trying to find a vendor that carries it (DANA SPICER 30339) but am having no luck. Anyone have any luck with this part?

Attached a picture of the spindle/bushing:
Spindle bushing.jpg
I also went ahead and ordered new bearings and seals as I have it all tore apart anyway.

Still not sure how to solve the oil slinging issue.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markguiver

Re: 1970 F250 D44 axle help.

Post by markguiver »

https://torqueking.com/category/spindle ... ing&page=1 . Here's a source if you can't find any locally. When you do replace the bushing, be sure to check the outer axle shaft for wear where it rides on the bushing.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport