Rear bumper.

General Discussion Topic Archives
flywheel

Rear bumper.

Post by flywheel »

I got stoped by a cop, He said that i could get a ticket for not having a rear bumper. My 69 F100 did not have one on it when I got it. Did ALL 1969 F100 have rear bumpers? I'm going in to see the chief in the morning.
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Rear bumper.

Post by mrsnicks »

Don't quote me but I believe rear bumpers were Federally mandated safety equipment installed on all vehicles, and yes you just have a rear bumper to be street legal....

But now that I think of this, several trucks have roll pans and no rear bumpers... are they street legal????

Dangit I hate when I do that.... :hmm:

Anyone else know if this is illegal or not?

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Unless someone put a rollpan on it, then yes. Not sure what regs are on rollpans. The rear bumper often times was an "extra" item back then, meaning you could buy it without one or it would be an option, like adding power windows or cool rims.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

I think they are just that dumb to figure out that a roll pan is not a real bumper.

That is a good question that you brought up.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I don't think rear bumpers are mandated in Arizona. I bought a new Nissan pickup in 93 and a rear bumper was an option. The truck is still on the road (sold it to a neighbor) and it still has no rear bumper.
jor
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i do know that the trucks could come with no rear bumper. it was an option.
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Bumpers used to always be an option on trucks. I thought they were exempt from the bumper laws because the whole bed (not a passenger compartment) would act like a bumper. Did he cite an RCW on the ticket?
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

Well, I'm sure with a roll pan installed the impact resistance would go WAY UP!! :lol:
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
flywheel

Post by flywheel »

I got the ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. :x He said he could write me a ticket for no bumper. :cry: When i asked about it he got mad at me. :x I dropped it. I have filed a complaint at city hall. We will see. 8) I will not put a bumper on the truck, I don't want one! :twisted:
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Next time you get stopped, ask all nicey nice. Gee officer, it was my understanding that trucks were exempt from the bumper law. Could you kindly tell me the applicable RCW so that I can fully understand the law?
:D
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Well, I looked it up. Here it is:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.517
Guess it is required. Damn, I'm running just a roll pan in the '61.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I thought if it came that way from factory/dealership it was alright. And what about the times it would be far more dangerous to have the bumper on the vehicle. and does this mean that if my original was a smouthie bumper i can't put a step bumper on in its place as it would exceed the original bumpers line?.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Yeah me too rjewkes. But this is WA law, so your experience may vary!

In WA, I was hoping it would break out trucks specifically, but it doesn't. Unfortunately in our case, silence on the issue means we're supposed to have a bumper.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Comet: That statute doesn't mean they're required, just that they need to be maintained so as not to protrude past the body, which could be a hazard to other vehicles and pedestrians.

THIS LINK states the following:
When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with bumpers or any other collision energy absorption or attenuation system, that system shall be maintained in good operational condition....
This shows that they're only required (in the state of Washington) for vehicles orginally equipped with them from the factory.

And the 'not protruding' part simply is a way of keeping someone from sticking 10-foot wide bumpers on a 6-foot wide vehicle.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yup. Oh well when all hail breaks loose in the end and our malfunctioning, bumperless, fenderlss lightless cars and trucks pull their buns out of the fire they'll sing a different tune.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com