Engine and Trans ideas?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Mitchell67f100

Engine and Trans ideas?

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been on here in ages as i haven't had time to even look at my truck recently :(
I have a 67 long bed F100 with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree.....my question to all you experts is what i should do for a engine/trans?
I'm very tall so i find it hard to use a clutch in an f100 if driving longer than a few minutes....so was hoping for an auto, especially because i want it to be more than a drive 6 times a year truck.
Id appreciate any advice on what you guys think would be an easy-ish swap without being way too expensive....i don't want anything performance, so im actually happy to keep the straight 6 if that makes it easier.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine and Trans ideas?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

If you're happy with the 6 then just swap an auto trans in - find the correct steering column, pedals, and the all the linkage and change it over........my :2cents: on what to do...... :D........I'm 6 feet tall and also don't really like the pedal placement on mine but just decided since mine was a low mile almost original truck i would just deal with it....... :roll:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Agree. 300 I6 with a C4 auto is a great ride.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Agree C4 should be plentiful and if you’re even a little handy you can put a soft kit in it with a book and some youtube...

If you wanted to get fancy you could do an AOD (no E).
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If you're wanting a V8, a 351W (5.8L) and AOD are plentiful and not a major swap. You'll need small block engine perches, a modified drive shaft and have to tweak the tranny x/m. Mid-late 80s - early 90s F150s, Explorers, Broncos, etc are easy to find in the salvage yards and engine/trannies are everywhere. As a bonus, you can get them with serpentine belts and upgrade everything from the alternator to the p/s and AC.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Mitchell67f100

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys....I think I’m leaning towards keeping the I6 and getting a C4 and sourcing out the column and such.
Stupid question...but what do you mean by “soft kit“...excuse my lack of knowledge :(
Thanks again!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Stupid question...but what do you mean by “soft kit“...excuse my lack of knowledge :(
Not stupid, it is industry jargon.

A soft kit is the gaskets, bands, clutches and seals... those are considered “soft parts” where as drums the pump and gears are “hard parts”.

Example:

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/search/ ... uild%20kit

Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Mitchell67f100 wrote:I think I’m leaning towards keeping the I6
Take a gander at this video of the Ford inline six;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaAPp3VPOdU
Mitchell67f100

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Thanks guys...awesome help!

I contacted a local guy about getting a C4 from him and he said for my setup that I should get a 1972 or newer to rebuild.
Does that sound right to you guys?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Mitchell67f100 wrote:Thanks guys...awesome help!

I contacted a local guy about getting a C4 from him and he said for my setup that I should get a 1972 or newer to rebuild.
Does that sound right to you guys?
I would say in most cases always go with the newest.

Information I have says they went to a push in modulator in 73, and changed to a C5 around 1980.

Prior to 70 there were differences in the way the valve body worked, primarily an absence of a second gear hold I believe (it would shift to 3rd if in 2), post 70 2nd was 2nd.

Make sure you know the input spline count (not sure when this changed, might be what your trans shop means) and get the correct bellhousing for your 300.
Robert

Mitchell67f100

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Thanks again!
That’s a great help....can’t wait to source one out and start work!