Frame swap 68 to 78

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

charterpa

Frame swap 68 to 78

Post by charterpa »

I read the tech article about a frame swap. Then I bought a 78 2wd short bed frame 117"WB. I was planning on moving the spring hangers forward. Yea, that won't be easy. The frame narrows right in front of the forward hanger. I got to thinking rather than moving the hangers, change springs. Maybe a shorter spring ? Move only the rear hangers forward 1". Have a custom spring made that moves the center hole forward 1". This should bring the wheel base of the 78 frame down to 115" WB to mate the 68 box wheel wells pretty darn close. Any Thoughts on this that I may not be considering ?
davelj

Re: Frame swap 68 to 78

Post by davelj »

If you are having custom springs made anyway, have the main leaf made the same length as stock and just move the center bolt 2 inches forward. They could adjust the shorter leafs as necessary.

Another option might be to find a different set of hangers that would fit the narrower section of the frame.
charterpa

Re: Frame swap 68 to 78

Post by charterpa »

I called Eaton springs. They said exactly that. They did add that the spring perch would need shims or moved to correct pinion angle. They also said that the top leaf could be drilled to move the axle on the springs I have as well. If the moderator reads this post he should add this in the tech article for the short bed frame.