Longbed vs shortbed value

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

sonic reducer

Longbed vs shortbed value

Post by sonic reducer »

Gonna check out a 70 f100 custom shortbed tomorrow, 302, 3 on the tree. Although I love my 72 f250, I've always liked the shortbed look and it will squeeze in my garage unlike my 72. Owner is asking $3900. It has small amount of rust in the door and one front fender. Owner sent me only one pic and its not the best pic. To me, it looks like a $1500-2000 truck if it was a longbed. How much of premium should I expect to pay for a shortbed? Thanks!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Longbed vs shortbed value

Post by jzjames »

Just check out the rust. :D
Check the cab mounts, roof, A-pillar bottom, radiator support. All of it can be fixed by an experienced welder. It can be expensive if you have to hire it out.

Bottom of door skins and bottom rear cab corners can be fixed

A rust-bucket shortbed and a fairly solid one are two different things, if it’s solid, $3500 is not an unreasonable price.
Rusted out -$700 - $1500.
sonic reducer

Post by sonic reducer »

Thank you for the advice, jzjames. Unfortunately, the truck was completely rusted out. All 4 quarter panels, both doors, floors were rusted through. Lots of leaks with puddles of fluid underneath. No exhaust. It's a total project, a $500 truck in my book. Oh well, I'll keep slowly plugging away on my 72 while keeping an eye out for a shortbed. The 12 pack of empty Busch lite cans in the bed was a nice touch, though! LOL

PS, this board has been extremely helpful to me. Every time I have a question about my truck I have always found answers on here.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Yeah too bad huh. Keep looking, have a feeling one will show up. Don’t pay a crazy price for one.
And yeah, shortbed F100s are nice, lighter, parking is easier. :thup: