Brake lights not working...

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

clineco

Brake lights not working...

Post by clineco »

I was hoping somebody could help me out on this. Here's what I have...

My red wire which goes to the brake switch has power, but when I connect the red to the red/black stripe, I no longer get power in the circuit. I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure what would cause this to happen. My next step is to jump the turn signal switch directly to the brake lights to see if I can get them to light up.

Any suggestions?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake lights not working...

Post by basketcase0302 »

"clineco" I was hoping somebody could help me out on this. Here's what I have...

My red wire which goes to the brake switch has power, but when I connect the red to the red/black stripe, I no longer get power in the circuit. I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure what would cause this to happen. My next step is to jump the turn signal switch directly to the brake lights to see if I can get them to light up.

Any suggestions?
What year truck?
You'll need to at least be able to read a simple test light, (a voltage meter is really no different and most of us here can easily describe how to use one of those) to troubleshoot.
Here are the wiring diagrams. There are many things that can cause them to not work. Make sure the brake light housings themselves are properly mounted, (that's how the sockets get their ground) / make sure your cab ground strap, (from intake to cab) is intact to start with.
Shorting wires is a good way to ground a hot circuit causing even more issues from blowing fuses to burning up wiring and not recommended if you can avoid it. :(

http://www.fordification.com/tech/schematics_h.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
clineco

Re: Brake lights not working...

Post by clineco »

Tracked it down. Ended up being a corroded fuse clip. Hopefully this can help somebody in the future.