Extra Fuel Tanks

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

erikhillard

Extra Fuel Tanks

Post by erikhillard »

When I bought my 1968 F100 over 10 years ago it had a set of extra fuel tanks in the sides of the bed. Both had some old gas in them and I yanked them. The "tank switch" on the cab floor was busted so I removed it and went back to using just the inside cab tank. I've been thinking of putting back in the extra tanks. Partly because I've always thought it was a cool option and partly cause I'm tired of them being in the yard. Hahaha.

There is an extra electric fuel pump in the truck that has dash switch. I always presumed it was there to help with fuel flow from these tanks.

Anyone think its dumb to put these back in? Any thoughts about what I should look for and focus on doing if they go back in?
56781839326__27B59A18-53F6-4E5B-B0DD-B77190F44274.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Extra Fuel Tanks

Post by basketcase0302 »

Those look to be "aftermarket" (not Ford optional "saddle tanks") that came in our trucks Eric. I would say go for it, (they look to add no less than 15 gallons each?) but only after a good inspection of the interior of the tanks-possibly needing acid flushed and then coated by your local radiator shop). You can buy a simple borescope that connects to your smart phone for your inspection:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113299500834

I would also test the switch to make sure it switches the tank sending unit, (prior to reinstalling the tanks).
Was the tank valve you described located in the floor on the left side of the bench seat beside the door as most were installed?
Pretty sure the tank selector three way valve is still being repopped, (or get one from an RV supplier. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I'd put them back in. Clean them out and seal them with a POR 15 kit, good to go.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Those look like the same tanks as mine that were made by a company called Travel Tanks and I think they are 19 gallon capacity if they are. They are great for traveling if you're like me and don't like to stop if I don't have to. The 3 way floor switch for them and making new rods to mount them back under the bed was the worst part about the whole thing - Tom's Bronco Parts in Oregon carries the 3 way switch you'll need to book them all back up.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... bronco-new

It's not cheap but it's what you'll need and is well made....... :wink:.....I also installed a marine fuel filter/water separator just in case - there's a photo of it in my gallery....hope this helps..... :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:The 3 way floor switch for them and making new rods to mount them back under the bed was the worst part about the whole thing - Tom's Bronco Parts in Oregon carries the 3 way switch you'll need to book them all back up.

This is great, thank you! Do you know if that selector will handle 2 aux tanks? I see this plate on the same website and it looks like its designed for a two tank setup. Mine will have a total of 3 tanks when including the stock in cab tank.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... roncos-new

I really appreciate everyone's replies. I brought the tanks down to my mechanic yesterday and he's stoked about helping me with something different. Tanks will get cleaned up soon.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

erikhillard wrote:
Ohiotinkerer wrote:The 3 way floor switch for them and making new rods to mount them back under the bed was the worst part about the whole thing - Tom's Bronco Parts in Oregon carries the 3 way switch you'll need to book them all back up.

This is great, thank you! Do you know if that selector will handle 2 aux tanks? I see this plate on the same website and it looks like its designed for a two tank setup. Mine will have a total of 3 tanks when including the stock in cab tank.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... roncos-new

I really appreciate everyone's replies. I brought the tanks down to my mechanic yesterday and he's stoked about helping me with something different. Tanks will get cleaned up soon.
It will handle 3 tanks - one of the ports has a cap on it so it can be used as a 2 or 3 way switch so you can set it up for the 2 aux tanks and the behind the seat tank like I did. If it warms up like it's supposed to the next couple days I'll go look at exactly how I plumbed mine to give you an idea of where to run the 3 inlets and the outlet......I made my own selector plate because nobody makes them and mine was broke.........I'll post a pic of that if I can get this damn tablet to cooperate............ :cuss:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

As far as the plumbing : When I had the saddle tanks and the in-cab tank in mine I used the left port for the left saddle tank, the center port for the in-cab tank, and the right port for the right saddle tank. That way I could switch tanks by feel when driving without taking my eyes off the road to see the plate. The saddle tanks I had did not have senders so the only way I could tell how much gas I had was when the engine started sputtering. Then I knew it was time to change tanks RIGHT NOW. The plate pictured in your post is for a Bronco but would work for a two tank setup. I have never had one of those on my truck because I always knew which tank I was using by the order they were plumbed to the valve.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:yt: ........just looked and that's the same way I did mine...... :wink:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Agreed with setting up the tanks. Get used to reaching for the valve without looking for it as it can be a big...distraction to be looking down beside the door for the valve.
And...the beauty of the multiple tanks is that I could/would forget to watch my gas gauge and all of a sudden hear the engine sputter-then reach down and switch the tank, (as the truck had actually ran out slowing to a stop). The manual transmission would be similar to push starting the truck, (priming the now empty fuel line. :thup:

Dang...you'll have a 500 mile range with all three of those tanks I bet! :eek:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

basketcase0302 wrote:Dang...you'll have a 500 mile range with all three of those tanks I bet! :eek:
That's the reason mine went back in - I can get from my house in Ohio to my property in Tennessee with 1 stop just past Nashville......... :wink:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Sir,
I believe I've got the same two extra tanks in my 1970 F-250. About how much would you say they weigh (empty)? Oh, and were they just mounted with two long through bolts? Decided to remove mine and get 'em renewed...initial attempt = failure. Thanks.

Billy Bob
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

bobslaven wrote:Sir,
I believe I've got the same two extra tanks in my 1970 F-250. About how much would you say they weigh (empty)? Oh, and were they just mounted with two long through bolts? Decided to remove mine and get 'em renewed...initial attempt = failure. Thanks.

Billy Bob

Don't recall how much they weight but they sure are not lightweight. & yes, long bolts with wide flat nuts? Hanging thru the bed floor basically. There are sitting at my mechanics (hopefully), as we were gonna boil them and try putting them back in at some point.

Why did your initial renewal attempt fail?
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Thanks for the response. I've only tried the passenger side tank, but it does not appear interested in moving at all. I've got nuts at the end of them long bolts, a lock washer, and a big stainless washer. All that rests up against what must be the "wide flat nuts" you mentioned. I thought they were old, hard rubber grommets initially, but every one of 'em looks to have spot welds toward the front and rear of my rig. Are your wide flat nuts threaded or are they more like big, fat washers?
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

I'll try seeing if I can find any of the parts around. Easily been a decade since I yanked the tanks.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Hey thanks in advance. If I get my steering fixed up, then I'll try again next weekend.