Hi from Germany

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

Fast Lane

Hi from Germany

Post by Fast Lane »

My name is André and I live 80km (Don't know what it is in miles :? ) eastwards from Hamburg. I came across this site while i was searching for infos about my new ride. It's a '69er F100 in a noteable good shape - Quite no rust on it. An old german guy bought it in 2015 in Colorado and shipped it to Southern Germany. He does'nt use it very much and last week I got the chance to buy it and fell in love with it. I'm absolutely new at this issue. My last car was a Audi built in 2003. I'm not sure about this really fits in in a introduction :? but there's a point I would like to know: The F100 has a manual transmission (I think it's a Borg Warner T18) with unsynchronized first gear. It's very noisy when you start driving, so I tried to use the second gear. It does'nt feel right because of the gear ratio. I got the feeling it might be to much stress to the clutch while starting. I would appreceate some good advises and tips of proven Ford riders.

Best regards

André

By the way: I'm afraid I could'nt hold point 4 at the forum guidelines :hmm:
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Hi from Germany

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from California Andre! I know you will find the answers to questions about your truck here. :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Post the data from the Vehicle tag on the drivers door or look on the tech section on this site to find out what the numbers/letters mean. Just remember over the year many parts can be changed.

Oh by the way, welcome.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:wel:

Hi Andre’

If your truck is indeed a T18, I believe that is what is referred to over here as a “granny gear” 4 speed. What this means is that 1st has a very low ratio and is not intended for everyday use. 1st is intended for heavy pulling only and 2-4 are more suited to everyday use.

As long as it hasn’t been modified you shouldn’t have any problem starting off in second as that is the way it is intended.

Go ahead and post some pictures for us of the data plate, transmission and rear end and lets figure out what is going on. Throw in some of the whole truck too. We like pictures.

I’d suggest posting the data plate and a more detailed question and description of the issue in the drive train section, you will get more help there.

Do you know what engine you have?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Fast Lane

Post by Fast Lane »

Thank you for your warm welcome, guys! I'll try to put some pics next week and put it in here. Especial thanks to you, Robert. So I'm right to use the first gear only with heavy load. I was reading about the "granny gear" and thought something like that but was'nt sure because of second gear ratio.

I browsed a little bit in the forum and somehow I start thinking :fr: :thup:
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Fast Lane, :wel: to the best site period. :fr:

Hope :pray: you like it here. :fr:

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :fr:
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Hello Andre' As it was said earlier post up the Vin tag so we can see what trans it "should" have had. If it is a non synchronized first gear they are a bit noisy.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
jp2005
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by jp2005 »

:wel: :hd:
Thanks JP! Ms. Cordova is a factory 1969 Ford F100 Ranger with a 390, Front disc brakes, Cordova copper orange, behind the seat box
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Willkommen aus nördlich Idaho, André!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C