O/T: An interesting weekend...

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

O/T: An interesting weekend...

Post by FORDification »

Well, you know me....sometimes I tend to write some mini-novels in here...and this one isn't any different. ;)

Anyway...sorry I wasn't around much this weekend. I was planning on hitting the shop all day Sunday, but we got some surprise houseguests....my 17-year-old daughter (from a previous relationship) drove across the state to attend my baby daughter Brianna's baptism scheduled for Saturday night. Since we don't get a chance to spend much time together as it is, it was great. Had the baptism Saturday night and then spent the rest of the evening at a small (25-30) get-together in the party room at Pizza Hut. Got home about 11PM and was up playing Scrabble with her until almost 1AM. Here's a quick shot of my youngest daughter getting aquainted with my oldest:

Sunday was lazy, with all of us basically just hanging out and enjoying the visit. My daughter got to spend some time playing with her two half-brothers and half-sister. When the kids laid down for a nap right after lunch, my wife and daughter decided to do the same...so I just played around on the computer, whipping up a webpage (more on that in a minute).

Her mom was supposed to be picking her up about 6PM and then they were going to drive all night to get home (about 6 hours away). However, her mom got to within 3 miles of my house before her alternator seized up, taking the serpentine belt with it. She called me on the cell phone asking for help, so we ended up driving out to see what the damage was. When I saw what had happened, I just shut the hood and went back to town for a tow-rope. Got her towed back in town to the local repair shop's parking lot and made a call to arrange for it to be fixed first thing in the morning, since I had to work. So we all had another evening together, just relaxing and catching up on things.

When I went to work at 8AM this morning they already had it inside their shop, and had it finished up within a couple hours. They headed back about 10AM this morning.

So, all-in-all, it was an interesting weekend! :D

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, over the past week or so I've been slowly putting together what was originally just going to be a small tribute page to my very first car ever: a '65 Dodge Coronet 440, which I got when I was 14-15. I dug a couple old photos of it from my photo album taken the day I got the car, then dug up a few more taken of it about 10 years ago when I revisited it, and then was going to add some more taken last summer of it in it's present 'condition'. You see, the car is upside down on it's roof in a ravine on our old farm, and has a few bullet holes in it (mine, from wabbit-hunting as a teen). Here's a shot of it taken the summer of '81 when I brought it home:

CLICK HERE TO ENLARGE

...and here's a shot of it as it is today:

CLICK HERE TO ENLARGE

However, while scanning the pictures I'd recently took, it slowly dawned on me that this car was completely rust-free...even after sitting out in the elements for almost 25 years. Over the past few days I realized that the car was completely restorable....and free to me, if I wanted it. So I'm kinda thinking that this coming summer, once everything has dried out, I'm going to take a weekend and head back and winch my old car out of that ravine and bring it home. I'm just going to put it into storage for a few more years, and save it as a future project.

So I posted the 'tribute' page last night, in case any of you are really bored and wanted to check it out:

http://www.fordification.com/coronet.htm

I just love some of life's sudden twists and turns, don't you? ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: O/T: An interesting weekend...

Post by binder56jd »

:clap: Keith- good story and good presentation- life is a real roller coaster- to say the least- jd- :clap: :clap:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

Just wondering why all the parts are scattered everywhere. Great story though. Wish Icould get my first one back.
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

Dang it and here I thought you had ran to Omaha and bought a lottery ticket and disappeared. Glad to hear you got to spend time with your daughter. Grab that Coronet too! You have some youngens that might want it someday.
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I think it's a nice looking car. Of course, I like all the cars from back then.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

You deserve the death penalty for killing that mopar! :wink: I'm actually a big fan of mopar muscle. I have my own mopar projects to last a few retirements.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Ain't it funny how things work out. Look up and smile. KP
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I'd grab it. It'd be cool to have the chance to re-assemble the first car you tore down. And you'd be able to tell people that it only took over too decades for you to do it. :D
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Right now I'm pretty well convinced that I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll just put it into dry storage for a few years until I get caught up on other things. It'll also give me time to maybe assemble some needed parts for it, though having a parts car would really make things easier, so I'll start keeping my eyes open for one. Since it's not an immediate need though, I can take my time.

I've never really been a Mopar fan, but heck....it WAS my first car! There's just the sentimental attachment there, and considering that there really wouldn't be much body repair (aside from some bullet holes) I think it would be a nice easy project (comparatively speaking).
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

since no one else has asked . how did it get in the ditch upside down any way? or did i just miss that part?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I bet someone flipped it to pull the rear end. Seen that done to many abandoned vehicles.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too....to remove the rearend and springs.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If I didn't love Fords so much, I would have a Mopar or two.

Remind me one day to tell the 1 of 7 documented 4 speed Hemi Belvedere story...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper