Disappointing night

General Discussion Topic Archives
Tallboy

Disappointing night

Post by Tallboy »

I need to vent a bit here.

So I had been taking Billy apart the last three weeks and decided that I'd POR the floor pan and put a non metal fix on the rusty spots. I have been kicking around the idea of having a shop do the body work and rest of the rust repair while I worked on the chassis simply because I am not a body and paint guy. Motors electrical, assembly I'm cool with..... So I got the number of a guy locally and had him come out tonight.

Pretty much he said that he's gonna look for a new bed, hood and cab because what I have isn't worth his time to fix. then he told me that it was an amature job and needed to be done right. THIS IS THE REASON WHY I CALLED HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Thanks for telling me what I already knew! Can't explain why it pissed me off but it did. Maybe my prides kicking in.

I don't know if it makes sense to look for a cab etc because it would be less work to repair and ultimatly less dollars. Just gotta wait and see what comes up I guess. any thoughts?

Anybody every had a picture of what you wanted and then it's chewed up by a guy you don't even know? Man I'm ticked..... and need a second opinion.
72 F250 4x4 Ford GT Red.
FE 428 Trust me it goes....
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Disappointing night

Post by 390Nut »

Best of luck finding a decent cab, you know how our weather is on the gutters/corners. :(

You need to ask yourself if it's something you want to learn to do, or pay someone else to do. Time comes into play, as well. Is this your only truck, that you need running and driving, or can you park it for an extended time? Do YOU feel the cab is salvageable in the first place? Some bodymen wont do rust repair, if it's beyond surface rust (which isn't rust repair anyways, despite what they want to call it. It's surface prep and paint work)

I also know how expensive real rust repair can be (cutting out rusted metal and welding in new, then fixing the body lines and such). Several estimates on my CAB ALONE, were near the $10,000 mark! :eek: But then, these guys that do this are professionals, and build show winning cars/trucks, some out of seriously rusted heaps of scrap, and came highly recommended from the car crowd. They also make the body lines match up better, too. How many old trucks have you seen where the door window frames don't quite run parallel to the cab posts?

Myself, I can't see doing any of this any time soon, even though my truck badly needs to be stripped bare to the frame if I'm to have any hope of saving the original body, particularly the cab. I might be able to slow the rust down, but I sure can't get rid of it right now, or any time soon. Reason? Money for one, job stability for another. I'm somewhat secure in my position, but the restaurant business isn't known for stability, and there's not many options for me if I have to find a new job around here. Would really suck having to move a truck when it's in a million pieces, and selling this one isn't an option for me; it's my inheritance from my Father, and I have no intention of selling it. Ever.

I know most people don't see it quite the same way I do, though.

One thing you might check into is cabs from the other side of the state. Yes, it could be a royal PITA getting one home, but, it's a LOT dryer over there, and trucks/cars tend to last a lot longer when just sitting around over time. They don't have the constant liquid sunshine eating away at them! :thup:
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I think if you have serious rust that you would be better off finding another cab. I would think dry eastern Washington farming country would be a great source for these trucks. Head over the pass and find the perfect truck!
jor
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

Just how bad is the rust? :?

How about posting some photos so your Brothers can honestly tell you that the idiot who looked at your stuff last night was just plain wrong and that you need to find yourself a qualified FORD body man...

Now you can direct your stress towards that misguided ""Missing Link"" knowing in the likelyhood that Karma will find him and return the favor he bestowed upon you. :)

Hope I lifted up your spirits a little my Brother! :wink:

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

sounds like the guy needs a lesson in "bedside manners"- lose his # and find someone that will talk to u like a human being- jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Tallboy, what year is your truck? I may be able to help. PM me.

Edit: I see your sig say's '72. If that's the same truck then you want to get with me. Like I said above, PM me.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Hey bodymen are like artists, and therefore can be tempermental. Its their loss. But if your in Oregon there should be alot of rust free cabs. The rusty ones are most likely on the coast. I would think if youve got alot of rot in the cab, you will be happier finding a solid one.
Tallboy

Post by Tallboy »

Comet PM'd you...

I like the artist input..... that makes sense to me.

THe rust in the cab is limited to a 6"x6" area at each floor side near the door. (typical spots) and at the driver side window wiper area. other than that he looked at it and said it had been wrecked!!!!

Thanks for your support guys.... I felt like I bit off more than I could chew last night but I am coming to my senses.

390 -believe me if I had the time and the honest patience to do bodywork I would. That and I can't weld worth carp make me think that I'll leave it to a pro.

Thanks all
Tim
72 F250 4x4 Ford GT Red.
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Tell the dude to pound sand and find someone else to help you!
Your story kinda pisses me off cuz I know some body men like that and thier jerks.
Some of them act like thier doing you a big favor by allowing you to pay them to work on your truck. And if they see something that looks hard or that they just don't wanna do they overprice it or try to condemn it just to get out of it.
Its like they don't have the nads to admit that they don't wanna work that hard.

Best thing that could happen is if you found someone who had a little compassion for old trucks and knewhow to work on them. Like someone older that still liked to do body work from time to time. I think those are the best. The ol' timers.
Kind of a shame that body work has become just parts replacement and there aren't many folks left who remember how to use actual body shaping tools and metal fabrication. (Damn! Sorry for the rant)

Anyway, find some car clubs or local automotive shop employees and ask around till you find someone who you can talk to about what you want out of your truck and then hopefully they can be realistic with you about what can be done to it without insulting you.

Admitting that you need help with body work takes a big man cuz everyone always makes it sound so easy. Its not.
But its very rewarding if you have the opportunity to learn it.
If you could get someone to help you with your body work instead of just doing it for you you could save a lot of bread and gain some even more valuable knowledge out of it. That would be great.

Go ahead and see if you can post a few pics of your problem area's and we will give an honest opinion. Even though we may be a little biased. :lol:
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
Tallboy

Post by Tallboy »

Sharkdance, This guy is older and had a 70 ford himself.....
I talked to him yesterday to see if he had found a bed and fender.

Yeah he found them alright. NOS fender in ohio for $450. and a cab and bed in texas. They would put a "package chassis" together and ship it up.
Didn't give me a price on that one and I didn't ask. So that conversation made my decision easy..... No way will I work with this guy. Does he think I'm made of money and wants to find a perfect straight truck to just paint. Good luck!!!!!

Comet is gonna help out with a few pieces and I'll go junk yard hunting till I find a good solid bed. I'll do this the old fashioned way. Hard work and a body guy who isn't afraid of it.

Tim
72 F250 4x4 Ford GT Red.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

hey T-boy- I got my 1st vehicle-well 4 wheeled one- when 14- in NW kansas- it needed an engine&transmission and some fair to middlin' body work- well i didn't know come here from sic'em about either, but my dad was patient enough to give me some instruction and then turn me loose- believe me he needed the patience- i did some things several times before both of us was satisfied w/ the product. there's more info on the net these days then there probably was in the whole town (pop. 2500) back then. go for it. jd oh by the way i drove that '56 chev 210 2 door for 4 yrs -blew the engine and still sold it for a profit. wish i still had it.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

:fr: :clap: :thup: :yt: :burp: :wink: :fr: - Spoken like a true American FORDification Brother...

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Tim, what did you find at the PnP, anything?
I think I talked him into fixing it himself. The damage doesn't sound too bad after we met and I think its fixable.
Tallboy

Post by Tallboy »

Found a 67 with nothing left....
No 61-66's though....

I picked up a 72 complete running with NO RUST truck for $800 on craigslist. That included the bed I needed,floorboards look brand new the excellent inner fender wells (one I needed) and two perfect doors. I'm telling you this thing is incredible. God graced me on this one.... So I'm gutting it out. Also has power steering that I'm gonna swap.

Yeah I'm gonna do it myself. Thanks for all the support everybody.
72 F250 4x4 Ford GT Red.
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Right on Tim! Keep us posted on the progress and take lots of pics!