67 dash switches and harness help

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Killa67

67 dash switches and harness help

Post by Killa67 »

How do you remove the knob switches from the dash on the ignition,lights,wipers and such. I want to remove the whole harness from my 67 F100 to clean it up and retape and such. Also how do I remove the whole dash frame and pad as one unit. I have been looking under there for an hour and the 2 tabs on either end on the dash look to be welded. HELP!!!
Go to sleep at 9:59 back on tha grind at 10:00.
steveheer

re: 67 dash switches and harness help

Post by steveheer »

Well, I believe that the headlight knobs just pull off as do the windshield wiper knobs. I'm not sure on removing the whole dash frame--do you need to? I know with the internals out, IE guage panel, radio, glove box, the dash pad is easily removed and it would probably be a good idea to remove it first so it won't get damaged--if I'm understanding your question.
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
Killa67

Post by Killa67 »

Well the only switch I got a connector plug to come off of was the headlight switch. I probly dont need to take out the entire dash piece but wanted to to do a thorough cleanup and repaint inside the cab/dash area. I am probobly going to delete the heater box and all wiring-hoses-blower motor and stuff to mount all my ignition and timing box's. I dont want to do any hacking of the original wiring if it is good. But have been thinking of getting a complete painless wiring kit with fuse blocks and relays to install, also a flaming river or ididit column kit with a manual steering rack and pinion. I am going back with the instrument cluster being a complete autometer cobalt series gauge set. So I need to clean up all the wiring I can, and remove all I dont need.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

To remove the headlight knob you reach under the dash and push a small button on top of the switch. Hold that switch down and pull the knob/shaft out. Then to remove the switch you just use a large screwdriver and unscrew the inner bevel retainer and remove the switch.

The windshield wiper knob is removed with the Allen wrench. To remove the switch you'll need a special tool to remove the bezel retainer. If you're careful you can get by with spinning the bezel retainer off with a needlenose pliers, but you're likely to mess up the chrome finish that way. Here's a picture of a disassembled switch and the special too needed to properly remove it, available at any auto parts store.

To remove the lighter you simply unscrew the back lighter retainer from the socket. Hold the socket by sticking your finger in there (be sure you unplug it first!) and then reach up under the dash to unscrew it.

The rest of the knobs are simply held on with a small Allen-head screw, loosen it up with an Allen wrench and pull off, then unscrew the bezel.

The main dash frame is welded in...you're not going to remove it without drilling out about a million spotwelds along the windshield area. Here's a picture of one I removed a while back. You can see that all the spotwelds will drilled out along the top..not something I'd want to do again if I could help it. Needless to say the windshield must be removed to do so:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Killa67

Post by Killa67 »

Keith thats just what I needed to know thanks buddy.
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

Oh, yea, I do remember the truck having set screws--YOU know your stuff!!!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
mercman1953

Post by mercman1953 »

The painless harness is a good harness. I am using one from Haywire myself on my 68. I have a ididit column in my truck and I used a borgeson u-joint instead of the rag joint. I made an aluminum insert for my dash and put 6 VDO gauges in it, it is great to have aftermarket electric gauges.
1968 F250 longbed 2wd.
Late model 351w c6 trans.
1969 F100 Explorer
360 3spd manual

1967 Fairlane wagon
302 c4 trans
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Hey, Keith, where did you get that nifty little tool for the notched bezels? Thanks.
jor
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Actually, I got this one from a friend who ran a body shop and was going out of business. After he and his employees vacated the building, they told me to take anything I wanted from what was left. Scored a lot of cool used tools. :D However, I'm sure that you can order these through the local parts outlet.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!