Did ford ever build a four door SUV before the explorer?

General Discussion Topic Archives
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Did ford ever build a four door SUV before the explorer?

Post by dablack00 »

Ok guys. My wife drives a 2002 explorer. Four doors, quiet ride, AC, etc. Well it is getting up in miles and I would like to get her into an older car. I know she want four doors, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get her into a crew cab. Did ford ever build a four door SUV? I know the big bronco came out in 78, but it was just two door. I really need four.

There is no way I could put her in a cheby, but what about a grand wagoneer, or something like that?

Why didn't ford have somethink like the cheby's Suburban?
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Did ford ever build a four door SUV before the explorer?

Post by dablack00 »

I know what you are about to say. What about a 60s galaxie wagon. No go. Not high enough.
68half/step4x4

Post by 68half/step4x4 »

I don't really know if they ever had one from the factory, but there was a company that would take a new bronco from the factory and convert it to a four door bronco. They were called a Centurion. Actually a nice looking rig. I've seen a couple of them. Never got to talk to any of them about it. Some one here probaly has more info than me.
If it's too loud, you're too old!!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i always thought the the centurion was from the factory but i guess not. heres a pic of one. (wish it was mine)
i like the grand wagoneer too.
Last edited by 1970F250 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Well, those are really cool, but I'm trying to go 60s/70s. I think I'm just going to have to talk her into a crewcab. Or maybe, I could get a crewcab and put a 78/79 bronco back on it. I know it would be alot of work and I would have to attach the bed to the cab and splice in some peices from a 78/79 bronco, but it could work.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Here is the buildup North Country Specialties did on combining a crew and bronco together. This might help you build a 67-72 Centurion. :lol:

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/f ... /index.htm
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

There used to be several of those, in the late 80s body style, running around Alaska. I think the mayor of Wasilla had one.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

let me get this straight, you have a 2002 and are getting high on miles???, nothing against you but we have a 92 exploder, and have 366,000 miles on it and have only had to do minor repairs besides, transmission and head work. still runs like a champ. exactly how many miles are on it?
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

I remember those Centurion factory/custom rigs. They used F350's and removed the bed added either 2 or 4 more doors, then installed the back top from a 80-96 Bronco. They were and to the best of my Knowledge still FORD factory approved/authorized builder. A Quality engineered setup as far as I'm concerned...

I had a 2002 Explorer 4.0 (they've got those 4.0's dialed in now)that I sold to my Brother when I bought my 2003 Expedition. It had about 40k when I handed the keys to my Bro and he's probably put about 100k more since then. It's still in primo shape with no problems what-so-ever.
When I had my 76 Bronco 302 I always wanted to fabricate a 4 door version. I know that it would look and perform exceptionally

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

You can find those 70's 4 door broncos in mexico. I saw one up close.That is mainly the reason I go to mexico to look at all the cool cars and truck that they get that we don't.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

here's what you need!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Saw several in Texas in the '80's . I belive they were called the "Metropolitant" the resembled a full sized Bronco , had four doors and were probably a custom by Centurion .The back half came off like the Bronco , even saw one with dual rears an F-350 if you will

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

marz68 wrote:You can find those 70's 4 door broncos in mexico. I saw one up close.That is mainly the reason I go to mexico to look at all the cool cars and truck that they get that we don't.

I've been to Central America a couple of times and South America (Ecuador) in 74', 79', and 90. When I was there in 90 I could've sworn that I saw a 4 door U100 Bronco. There are a lot of different variations of the vehicles we here in the states are familiar with. My Brother (20+ years of FORD Exp.) says NO and when I worked at FORD I called the main Parts hub and talked to an Old timer and he said NO. I do know that the F150's in Central America are called LOBO. So as far as I'm concerned FORD probably did make a 4 door U100 Bronco but won't admit to it so that guys like us won't look for 'em and try to bring 'em back here to the States...

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great ideas. I never thought about going down to Mexico and getting one. That would be cool.

Don't laugh, but what about a long bed F100 67-72, w/ a crew cab and really short bed. I don't know how short the bed would be, but it would be like a classic sportrac. I know it would look a little goofy, but it would be exactly what the little lady needs.

About her explorer. It has 85,000 miles on it and I'm not worried about it falling apart right now, but when it does, I want to be ready. It take a while to build a good truck so I need to start now.

thanks
Austin
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Re: re: Did ford ever build a four door SUV before the explo

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

dablack00 wrote: Don't laugh, but what about a long bed F100 67-72, w/ a crew cab and really short bed. I don't know how short the bed would be, but it would be like a classic sportrac.
thanks
Austin
I had an old crew cab that I was going to transplant the body onto my 4x4 std. cab chassis. got so far as pulling the crew cab off the chassis and did a bunch of measuring.
the way I had it figured, there would be a box about 2 1/2-3 ft long behind the cab.
but what killed the idea for me was where the rear wheels ended up. they were almost underneath the rear of the cab. didn't look right to me, and I would have no room for the larger tires I wanted to put on it.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!