Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by hackster »

End of day update..

Got the 8.8 out of the shop and got it pressure washed and cleaned up. New stuff is so nice and clean and not old and rusty =)

Got it under the truck and got it located where it needed to go, then got the frame to a more reasonable working height.

BMR Upper link....might get extended a bit.

BMR lower link, using these as is.

Working on lower link mounts now

Trying to get it dialed in where I want it and wondering if I should do multiple mounting locations to adjust roll center and stuff.

Should make a little progress tomorrow but gotta work for a bit. Picking up more metal in the morning.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

hackster wrote:It's not really that impressive but I am pretty stoked with how the frontend has come out so far.

Stock sway bar is bolted on for now, not sure I am going to keep it or run the Addco sway bar.

Gotta work for a few hours in the morning and then back on the truck. I hope to get it flipped around and get to work on the rear of the truck.

Sean

I noticed you don't have the flip down supports that tie the top of the spring buckets to the frame. Are you leaving them off?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

No I'll get them on there, need to get some spacers built first though.

Sean
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

This build is rad!!

I like the dimpled peices! And your fab work looks top notch. Look forward to following the rest of the build.

Jealous of your workshop too!!!
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I am a foxbody mustang guy at heart...you got my wheels turning with that rear suspension.
Barry
fordguy_78

Post by fordguy_78 »

Looks good, nice to see a little pirate fab on here i'm just missing the icon for the proper salute.
Phill
78 Mustang
67 F250ish
2010 F250 Harley Davidson
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:I am a foxbody mustang guy at heart...you got my wheels turning with that rear suspension.
Barry
Foxbody for the win. Have had three or maybe four of them.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

fordguy_78 :D Thanks

Yesterday was frustrating to say the least. Ended up having to work till 12:30 on and off the phone and again from 6 to about 8 so not a lot of time to work on the truck.

Little more fab work here in the garage.

By the way, thinking about starting a small "company" for all of my side work. So if you see ninteen78 referenced from here on out that is me :D

I don't have any fancy tools here in the shop, so some things that I need to get done require some....okay lots of extra effort. Say building 4 identical brackets with holes located in exactly the same location.

Build template and layout holes. Transfer to metal, gut out 4 with the plasma, grind so they are close and mate together with some tack welds. Then grind to match and drill through all 4 at the same time. This was pretty time consuming.

More templates, more pieces.

Front panel for lower link pocket welded on. This also has a support that goes behind the bracket and under the frame for more support and to tied it all in together.

Here it is just tacked up on the side of the truck. I did my final measurements now and the axle needed to come forward a little bit more. So I need to cut the tacks off and slide it forward this morning. I have some pretty good adjustment on the lowers.

I should be able to get some heavy tacks on the lower links this morning and get to wok on the panhard bar and upper link mount.....That upper link is going to be interesting.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Got the front lowers in the right spot and tacked them in place, then got the gusset cut out and in place....it wont get welded till the main hanger is in place.

Got to work on the rest of the rear. Panhard next.

I mentioned that it laid in there about perfect by my measurements and I was right. Aside from the pesky bends in this mount, this one was pretty easy. Dimple died the reinforcement and got it tack welded in. You can also see that the sway bar is hanging in there as well, it is about 2" narrower than the wheeltubs so it will mount in that location, clear the panhard, the rearend and the rear mounted 1970 fuel tank just fine.

No regrets so far going this route.

I have a plan in place for the emergency brake as well....with the factory mustang cables =)

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I am impressed with how quick you get things done!! Awesome job so far!!

Barry
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

wow sean! this is looking rad :thup:
how did you decide on your wheelbase? seeing you have some flexibility. just stock rear wheelwell opening or did you consider alternate setting for best handling? also what is the difference on the truck vs mustang wheelbase out of curiosity...? really enjoying your projects...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Very impressive work! I wish I was as talented/quick as you are... I seem to "take my time!"
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SeapineF37 wrote:wow sean! this is looking rad :thup:
how did you decide on your wheelbase? seeing you have some flexibility. just stock rear wheelwell opening or did you consider alternate setting for best handling? also what is the difference on the truck vs mustang wheelbase out of curiosity...? really enjoying your projects...
Thank you, wheelbase is stock, I stretched the last one and dont like the wheel pushed forward in the wheelwell. 115" is the stick setup and that is what I am building it to.

The mustang wheelbase is 107.1 but initial drivetrain measurements should be lengthening the driveline just about 6".

IN2FORD wrote:I am impressed with how quick you get things done!! Awesome job so far!!

Barry
Thanks.....but keep in mind this week is really a full work week on the truck. Aside from that I am pretty motivated when I start something.

devindastrup wrote:Very impressive work! I wish I was as talented/quick as you are... I seem to "take my time!"
Thank you and I dont have any little ones, just a wife and a dog and a really time sucking job.

Managed to get the upper link chopped up and refit to the new more ideal length of 75% of my lower links. got it all welded up and painted hope to have it dry in the morning and then getting the upper link mount built, maybe even get the sway bar mounts done tomorrow too.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Solid day of work in the garage today.....not really missing work at all today either.

Got the upper link mount built. Tied it into the factory crossmember. Not too sure If I am going to run some tubes down to the inner frame rails or not. It is plenty beefy, all 3/16".

Plan coming together on the emergency brake cables as well. Amazed that this is going to work out..

So, swapped the cables side to side to get the lengths right and they are just like I had them built to fit the truck. Cut an access through the upper link mount on the passenger side and the front and built this mount for the cables to attach to the factory setup.

Of course, more dimple dies.

With that done I needed to get the rear sway bar mounts done but before I could do that I needed to get the tank mocked up to make sure that the swaybar clears the tank. So more rivets to come out.....son of a bitch there are a lot of rivets on this thing.

Got those and the stock shock mounts off the truck and pulled the rear most crossmember. Cut out the sides of the frame just enough to get the tank to slide in and slid in the rear crossmember. Going to try and keep the tank as far back as I can for clearance in front of it for fuel, suspension and sway bar stuff.

So with that done, I can get to work on sway bar mounts. Believe it or not I had a tougher time with these than just about anything else today. Just could not get them to look how I wanted but they turned out ok.

Driver side..

Passenger side, trying to leave room for shock mounts. Ordered coilovers for the rear last night but after measuring more this morning I think they are going to be too short, they only have 3.5" of travel.

Front NAAKE coilovers showed up today as well as the camber adjustment kit for the crwon vic frontend. Really hoping that the rear shocks and springs get here tomorrow, I would love to finish weld out the rear saturday and get shocks mounted.

Waiting on motor mounts as well, should be here tomorrow too.

Sean

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great fab work you've done! Looking good! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.