Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bigfreeb

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by Bigfreeb »

Sean, Your a wild man! I love where this is going, keep it up! I'm still gathering parts and your on your second truck...LOL
1968 F100 Ranger 360 soon to have CV swap
1969 F250 Ranger 360 2 owner Dad and me
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
2005 F250 King Ranch Crew cab S/B 6.0l
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

What wiring harness did you use on the other truck and what do you plan to use on this one?

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I agree on the three link....I think I am going to get the frontend under the truck and then roll the rearend under it and see how the factory mustang stuff looks. Packaging the factory style three link is going to be the challenge. IE, a big hole in the bed floor since its so tall. Everything else is easy, link mounts, links and all that stuff, I am more worried about geometry and that stuff.

I have had I think 5 foxbody mustangs total. Maybe my favorite car ever. Last ones were both coupes, also had a 93 cobra, low miles red no sunroof.

As far as the truck harness or the engine harness? The truck harness on these is so simple I ran a modified factory harness but it was literally just for lights and the heater everything else was wired by me. I have a lot of experience building buggies and wiring from scratch so I am not too intimidated by that.

Engine harness was a cut down factory one on the LSX truck. This engine harness will be FORD racing setup and the rest of the truck I will wire.

Sean
theletup

Post by theletup »

I'm using an 8.8 out of an 02 mustang. Rear suspension wise I considered the same option as you were thinking (use the factory mustang stuff) but I decided on a triangulated 4 link from welderseries.com. You housing has a single ear on the top though it looks like. Mine has 2 and they make a specific kit for it so maybe they won't have what you need but may be worth a peak??

I haven't received it yet but it will be here tomorrow and I plan on welding it in this coming weekend if all goes well. Ron Francis wiring may also be a good resource for you. I'm going to use their harness (ford racing doesn't offer kne for a 4.6L) and have them reflash ecm to eliminate pats and emissions and make it a standalone system.

You probably have that all figured out already but just in case :)
http://SpokaneSaveMore.com
Save More Automotive
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I have a Ford Racing harness and ECU(Foxbody Setup) for my 351W, I am trying to figure out what to use for the rest of the truck. Simple universal 20 circuit harness is under $200 but something with Ford plugs setup for my exact install from Centech is almost $500. I have my original harness I guess I could rob plugs from but what about the pins in the plugs? This is my first time wiring a complete vehicle so just want to make the right decision for the first install.

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:I have a Ford Racing harness and ECU(Foxbody Setup) for my 351W, I am trying to figure out what to use for the rest of the truck. Simple universal 20 circuit harness is under $200 but something with Ford plugs setup for my exact install from Centech is almost $500. I have my original harness I guess I could rob plugs from but what about the pins in the plugs? This is my first time wiring a complete vehicle so just want to make the right decision for the first install.

Barry
That is the tough part about the generic wiring harnesses, they need more work Ron Francis seems like they make a nice product, I have never bought a wire harness from anyone really, my budgets are pretty small compared to most of these type of builds.

First attempt on a cart from wood failed, this is second round of cart.....it failed shortly after these couple photos were taken. The wheels will split in half when pressures and weights exceed their recommended ratings =)

Huge thanks to my friend Scott for the help, I would have never gotten it done without him and his WARN Pullzall, running off my Honda Generator.

All in all the shell is on the trailer and we are safe and have all out fingers and toes. Had to cut the cart out from the car once it got on the trailer.

This really needed to happen though as it was taking up room in the driveway and the truck was on the trailer.

Fun times, truck is off the trailer, mustang shell is pretty much done with anything I needed it for, it will sell. driveway is cleaned up again and the axle is a roller so I can move it around. I can get the truck in the garage and get to chopping it up now.

Should be a good couple of weeks of progress.

Sean
diznasty

Post by diznasty »

Hackster, do you happen to have pictures of the rear bumper brackets and bolts? I'm mocking my frame up and wanted to check the clearances for the fuel cell. Plus my truck came disassembled so i have a bucket of bolts to sort through and find homes for. Like you my budget is small so reusing bolts is a must.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

It was not the stock bumper or bolts that were on there...

On a better note, you can get the rear bumper and bolts from LMC pretty inexpensive. I might be able to crawl under the other truck and take a photo of the bolts and brackets on there.

Sean
diznasty

Post by diznasty »

Thanks. Dont' worry about it if you have to crawl around. My bumpers are in really good shape. I looked at at LMC but it looks like you have to buy the bumper brackets and bolts as a kit. Tried Dennis Carpenter too with no luck. I have a feeling with the way the Chevy C10's are drying up the F100 aftermarket support is going to explode soon....this is all after our projects are done ofcourse.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

I picked up a Ron Francis wire harness. Not cheap but seems like it should be pretty easy to wire up. I'm excited to get to it.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well not a lot of progress. It is amazing how much time it takes to clean up after myself....

Moved the buggy from the shop up to the house garage and tucked it away for winter.

Strapped down the Mustang onto the trailer and got the trailer moved to the other side of the house tucked away until it sells. Cut up the failed attempt at a car dolly and loaded it up with all my spare wood and **** for a trip to the dump, put all the stuff from the stang in storage and cleaned up the garage finally.

I finally got the truck actually in the garage for the first time tonight. My plan is to roll it out tomorrow, pressure wash it and pull the motor and tranny out.

Anyways, sat in it and made vroom vroom noises for a few minutes tonight.

Should have some more progress soon, I have lots of parts to get to work on.

Kind of cool digging through the history of the truck and finding stuff like this, I am not planning on taking this sticker off.

dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

Some dealers did that when they delivered cars to customers. My friend has a 100% original 68 Z28 that had a potion of one of those stuck to the console. He found the original owner of the car that way. It's a pretty cool story that he documented with pictures he got from HER.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Got in a little bit of time on the truck after my morning bicycle ride.

Got out the pressure washer and went to town on the truck, started with the frame and went to work on the body. I did not really expect much but the pressure washer actually did a good job of cleaning off the whatever was growing on the body but it amazed me because it also took off a good portion of the crappy respray!!!!

I also pulled out the driveline in prep for engine removal in the next few days.

I also did a handful of measuring and it looks like I might be able to use a good portion of the rear suspension mounts. The nice thing about the truck is there is a ton of space at the rear of the truck. Although I like the idea of coilovers, I am thinking about doing conventional shocks with a coil spring and an adjustable cup or perch to set the ride height.

Anyways, nothing exciting but learning about my plan for progress.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Pretty solid day in the shop.

Rolled I'n the truck and got to work pulling the front suspension off.

Then got to work on the worst part of this swap, all of the cutting and grinding. Plasma cutter makes it better but it is still a ***** job. I think I have it pretty dialed after the 2nd truck.
Brace welded in and mostly cut out

Scrap pile at the end of the day

All the internal supports cut and ground out, framerails all cleaned up of the nasty undercoating wire wheeled and ready for the crown vic.

Next couple weeks should be good stuff.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

Looking good, removing that crossmember is a messy job. I know you didn't have any clearance issues with cab mount crossmember on your LS swap. I'm curious to see what happens on this one. I did a CV front with a 4.6 dohc with 4R70W and it sits so low the crossmember had to come out. I tried clearancing it but by the time I had almost enough room there wasn't much left of it. I plan on fabbing one that goes above the transmission rather than below. Are you going to box the frame more extensively on this build?