1971 Sport Custom

General Discussion Topic Archives
hmills

1971 Sport Custom

Post by hmills »

I just purchased a 1971 Sport Custom here in Houston Texas as a project for my 15 yr old son and I. I have never restored a truck (or car for that matter) but am willing to learn. I really don't no where to start. Can anyone recommend a good book or books? Does anyone know of a Ford Truck club in Texas? The body is solid but the engine and transmission seem to need work. It runs but not strong. Any tips for getting started would be welcome.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:hi:
well you've come to the right place. im not from tx. so i cant help you with finding a club but you can think of this site as sort of a world wide club. i didn't restore mine (i kind of prerunnerd it out :dk:) but a lot of people here have restored and are restoreing theres so you will find the info you are looking for here.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

this web site is all you will ever need. there is a book out there that i am aware of that is suppose to be the bible on rebuilding fe engines but i cant remember whole wrote it . but it can be found on amazon.com
hmills

re: 1971 Sport Custom

Post by hmills »

Thanks guys. I guess my primary goal right now is to get the bugger running sound so after a good cleaning I probably will begin by changing all of the fluids and doing a complete tune up. Need to replace all of the window and door gaskets, cracked windshield, steering wheel horn bar and trim cover, etc. do you know how to post a jpg?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes sign up for another account here and start posting. http://www.fordification.com/galleries/register.php
yes you have to sign up again.
hmills

Post by hmills »

ahh I see. thanks. I had found the galleries but didn't realize i needed to register again.
fordfanatic

Post by fordfanatic »

Hey hmills, welcome to the site. You'll have to create a gallery, and in there you can upload jpgs 600x450 I believe, so you may have to scale them down if you got a high def camera. Trucks are a lot easier than cars to restore since they come apart so easily. IMO

I'm sure your boy will enjoy the time together with you on the project, that is awesome on your part. There is a bunch of knowledgeable people on this site and you can learn alot very quickly, I know I have. My project is on hold right now after Rita came through, but hopefully late spring early summer I'l be back on her again. Any way, don't be afraid to ask questions, no one will mind helping out where possible.
:wel: :fr:
Chris
If it's broke, Fix it! If it can't be fixed, explain to your wife that you need it anyway!:D :fr:
----------------------------------
1971 F100 Ranger parts truck
1969 F100 Ranger parts truck
19?? Combo project (from above)
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Be advised that you can post photos to a personal gallery and you can also attach photos to your postings here. Let's see some photos and start asking questions and you'll have that baby running before you know it! Welcome, btw.
jor
hmills

1971 Sport Custom

Post by hmills »

Howdy Chris / Jor - thanks for the welcome. I set up a Gallery but havn't had any success posting pics yet - too big 1.1 MB. Need to scale them down. I'll get the hang of this. Herb
hmills

Post by hmills »

I finally got a few pictures uploaded to my gallery "1971 F-100 Sport Custom".
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

vary nice :thup:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Congrats. looks like a nice clean straight truck.
hmills

1971 Sport Custom

Post by hmills »

thanks. wow I am impressed with the amount of information on this sight!
hmills

Post by hmills »

Thanks for the tip on the gallery Fordfanatic. was able to get it started. Hope you didn't get too clobbered by Rita.