-calling all hillbillies- leaf spring Q's

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

destro360

-calling all hillbillies- leaf spring Q's

Post by destro360 »

ok im well aware this probably wont be the optimum or most sought after setup but im curious if anyone has tried or knows if a set of 72 rear leaf springs will/can be made to work on the front of a 79 4x4? im aware that 72 rears are 2.5 inches wide compared to 3 on the front of the 79 front but offset shackles can be bought or made and shims could be made or front hanger could be changed easily. now i appreciate all input from anyone who actually KNOWS or has EXPERIENCE with this type of scenario. i already have the springs and it would be a fast, cheap easy way to lift this truck and get things going. thanks in advance!
67-7THREE

Re: -calling all hillbillies- leaf spring Q's

Post by 67-7THREE »

the rears are shorter and make it ride like crap because of the shackle angle.

do you just want the front taller?

i have new add a leafs and 8" shackles id sell you, im local too.

thats what i have on mine and it lifted it a couple inches.

also, you can try 80-96 f250 rear leafs for the front, might lift it alittle, and add flex.
67 F250 Highboy, 6.9L IDI, ZF5, Sterling
67 F100 390, 4 speed, short bed 2wd, sold
67 F100, Highboy conversion, HP disk dana 44, Sterling 10.25, 7.3L Powerstroke, 37", sold
67 F250 Highboy, sold
fordguy_78

Post by fordguy_78 »

they should work, guys run the chivy 63" 2.5 rears on the front all the time just use washers to take up the space. and take a look at this http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =9&t=74971 and you will probably have to move the rear hanger.

2.5 to 3"
Phill
78 Mustang
67 F250ish
2010 F250 Harley Davidson
destro360

Post by destro360 »

thanks for the replies. i want to lift the front probably 3 inches and do a shackle flip in the rear to eliminate the blocks currently on it. i would like to have decent flex but i will also be towing/hauling. i have a set of rear springs thats why i was curious.