Bump Goes On Vacation!

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

LuvMyScamper

Bump Goes On Vacation!

Post by LuvMyScamper »

Hi everyone:

A couple of weeks ago we just returned from a 5-day, 870-mile trip to the northern part of our province (Nova Scotia) with our '71 bump RV. We were on Cape Breton Island to be exact, and drove around the scenic mountainous seaside drive known as the Cabot Trail. We were supposed to have a tune-up and electronic ignition installed before the trip, but we ended up getting our mechanic to do a brake job instead and he didn't have time for the tune-up. There were only two instances that the truck "hiccuped" so to speak. It started hesitating/losing power, and sounded like it backfired through the carb. It only happened twice, and lasted for a couple of seconds each time, then seemed to fix itself. That was the first and second day. Then for the next three days, it never did it again and worked flawlessly. We only averaged 8.5 mpg, but we we were driving through mountains 50% of the time and hauling a full tank of water, and like I said we never had our tune-up and electronic ignition done before we left. Gas was the only thing we spent money on for the next five days. We didn't stay in campgrounds - we "boondocked" at beautiful seaside spots we found. We filled our 20-gallon water tank before we left home, and we just started to run out of water on Day #5 on the way home. For any who might be wondering, the dry weight of the entire rig is 7220 lbs.

People were worried about us going on a trip like this in a 41-year-old rig. They were worried if the truck would have enough power to climb the mountains....they were worried if the brakes were powerful enough to slow it down coming down the mountains. We were concerned about power too at first, as we originally thought the truck had a 360 in it (the air cleaner lid said 360). The VIN said it was supposed to have a 390. By using the info on this site, I found that the engine could be ID'd by a metal tag on the coil bracket. I found it, cleaned it off, and sure enough it said 390. So now we felt a bit better about it having enough power to climb the mountains. About the brakes, I contacted a fellow '70 Scamper owner in Alberta and asked him about the brakes. He said these rigs have really big brakes on them, and as long as the pads were good we should have no problems going though the mountains. He's had his through the Rocky Mountains without any issues. The truck has the optional front disk brakes too, and we replaced the calipers and pads before the trip. We dropped to lower gears on the hills and had plenty of power climbing and good engine braking on descending, and the brakes worked great - no brake fade whatsoever. The truck has a 3-speed auto transmission with a transmission cooler. Just for extra peace of mind, we purchased CAA RV before the trip (it's like a roadside assistance plan).

I thought you all might enjoy seeing some pics of our trip.

This first pic is at Auld's Cove, just before we cross the causeway to Cape Breton Island. We got to see pilot whales breaching here and chasing baitfish as well as Northern Gannets diving for mackerel.

This is my husband Jeff, just as we head onto the Cabot Trail. He's never been to Cape Breton before so he was pretty excited! lol

Jeff and I:

This was a fly-fishing trip too. Fly rods and fly boxes stowed perfectly above the dinette area.

These next two pics are on Cheticamp Island:

Various pics from on the Cabot Trail:

One of our boondock sites:

Back on the trail:

We stopped at bridge over the North Aspy River, and had a peek. We saw these guys:

And decided to do some fishing:

And they were bitin'! We each caught three good sized brookies.

Next boondocking site was right on a beach in Ingonish.

Woke up to this:

Stopped at a beach park for an ice cream, and parked behind another Class C RV. The two rigs are probably 40 years apart!

Back on the trail, heading down one of the mountains called Cape Smokey:

This is where you want good brakes!

Last day, back on the mainland now at Cape George, Nova Scotia:

The lighthouse at Cape George:

We had such a fantastic time on our trip, we're doing it again next week. Although this time the tune-up has been done so we're hoping we might get 10mpg. lol We love our old RV so much we wouldn't trade it even if someone offered to trade it for a new one!
Last edited by LuvMyScamper on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy
1971 Ford F350 Scamper - 390/C6
2004 Jeep TJ - Lifted, locked and trail ready
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe - Grocery getter/gas miser
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bump Goes On Vacation!

Post by jimmy828 »

i'll must say, that is a really neat post of trip and camper. :thup:
Atlas

Post by Atlas »

Very nice, there was a M/H just like yours (even the same colour) for sale here on the island a couple of months back.It was all original and the asking price was $2500.Thanks for sharing.
Dave
1969 Ford F100 purchased with 7,300 original miles
2003 Impala with Sport Package 28,000 original miles
Original 1975, Yamaha XS650
International 4300 dump truck
Caterpillar excavator
Bobcat track loader
LuvMyScamper

Post by LuvMyScamper »

jimmy828 wrote:i'll must say, that is a really neat post of trip and camper. :thup:
Thanks!
Atlas wrote:Very nice, there was a M/H just like yours (even the same colour) for sale here on the island a couple of months back.It was all original and the asking price was $2500.Thanks for sharing.
These campers were actually made in Lethbridge, Alberta. Going through all the old papers that came with the truck, I can see that the original owner was actually from BC. We paid $2800 for ours, but it has had upgrades like 16" wheels and tires (practically brand new), new electrical and lighting throughout the camper, on-demand water pump, the back end of it was rebuilt (they all leak and rot there), and the whole thing was re-insulated. It's been stored indoors during the winters for the last 20 years or so too. I found another guy in Alberta who had one of these and he was selling it for about $1000. It was in a lot rougher shape though. He ended up selling it to a family of 4 from Nova Scotia who had a couple of dogs and they were going to live in the thing!!! That's a bit nuts if you ask me! lol
Cindy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Cindy,
Awesome pics thanks for sharing! I've decided to load up my flat bed and move there, should see ya'll in a few weeks LOL!
This picture is wallpaper/screensaver stuff!

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
LuvMyScamper

Post by LuvMyScamper »

basketcase0302 wrote:Cindy,
Awesome pics thanks for sharing! I've decided to load up my flat bed and move there, should see ya'll in a few weeks LOL!
This picture is wallpaper/screensaver stuff!

[ Image ]
Thanks! I see you're in Tennessee so you probably don't get to see the ocean very much. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but beside the ocean (the salty air rusts vehicles though!). Where I live, the waters of the Bay of Fundy are 30 mins to the west, and the waters of the Northumberland Strait are 30mins to the north. The Atlantic is about an hour and a half to the southwest. Nothing like breathing in fresh salty air. Cooler temps here too. The highest the temp ever gets here, in the heart of summer, is about 89 degrees. We don't even need air conditioning. But in the winter we get a lot of snow. I'm tired of that. lol
Cindy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Cindy,

That's one of the highest quality Bumpside photo collections I've ever seen. I agree with Jeff completely. Looks like you two had a memorable trip!

Robroy
LuvMyScamper

Post by LuvMyScamper »

robroy wrote:Good day Cindy,

That's one of the highest quality Bumpside photo collections I've ever seen. I agree with Jeff completely. Looks like you two had a memorable trip!

Robroy
Thanks very much! It was such an awesome trip we're going back next week! :D
Cindy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great slide show of wonderful scenery and a classic camper. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
basshound71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by basshound71 »

I am so jealous! Way cool
1971 Ford F100
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Atlas

Post by Atlas »

Thanks! I see you're in Tennessee so you probably don't get to see the ocean very much. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but beside the ocean (the salty air rusts vehicles though!). Where I live, the waters of the Bay of Fundy are 30 mins to the west, and the waters of the Northumberland Strait are 30mins to the north. The Atlantic is about an hour and a half to the southwest. Nothing like breathing in fresh salty air. Cooler temps here too. The highest the temp ever gets here, in the heart of summer, is about 89 degrees. We don't even need air conditioning. But in the winter we get a lot of snow. I'm tired of that. lol[/quote]

If you don't like the snow, then the west coast would be what you want, here in Victoria it's rare and the summer temps are just perfect , and lots of sunshine. 89 deg. F would be a hot day here, very low humidity here too. Still get the very fresh salty air , but am told not as salty as the east coast , rust isn't a big problem here because of the air thank goodness.
Dave
Caterpillar excavator
Bobcat track loader
Atlas

Post by Atlas »

********Note to the administrators******** When I selected the "Quote" tab I was able to go to the original text and would have been able to alter any of it. I would have been able to change the wording of the original post. I don't think that was the way it used to be , have things changed ? Or is there a glitch ?
Dave
Caterpillar excavator
Bobcat track loader
thrush544
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by thrush544 »

WOW!!! B...E...A...Utiful!!! 8)
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
LuvMyScamper

Post by LuvMyScamper »

Atlas wrote:If you don't like the snow, then the west coast would be what you want, here in Victoria it's rare and the summer temps are just perfect , and lots of sunshine. 89 deg. F would be a hot day here, very low humidity here too. Still get the very fresh salty air , but am told not as salty as the east coast , rust isn't a big problem here because of the air thank goodness.
The furthest west I have been was to Saskatchewan, and only went to Grasslands National Park. It is our dream to drive the camper across Canada - dip its front tires in the Atlantic Ocean before we leave, and then dip them in the Pacific Ocean when we arrive there. We are planning for this in 2015. 2013 will be an Ontario trip, and 2014 will be a Newfoundland-Labrador trip. My late grandfather and his wife moved to Victoria many years ago to get away from the cold Nova Scotia winters. She is still there, and I have a cousin living out there too. They used to make us so jealous when they would send us pictures of flowers on their balcony in February!
thrush544 wrote:WOW!!! B...E...A...Utiful!!! 8)
Thanks! :)
Cindy