positive battery terminal turns black

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i've never heard of it. it's just a square box with four wires coming out of it. you can have it tested at autozone before you start guess replacing everything under the sun.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thats a cool truck in your avatar. Way to go Ivan.
Good luck ?I too am having wiring problems of some sort.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: positive battery terminal turns black

Post by oldschoolrods »

I would just like to say that i am not an electrical pro at all but at school they showed us an exploded battery and if you are trying to trouble shoot a possible overcharging battery with it getting hot, be sure to wear safety glasses, even a faceshield, battery explosions are nasty. good luck
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

They are interchangeable. A 68 had a mechanical voltage regulater. Later Ford switched to electronic voltage regulators. You can use either one, the plug in is the same.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

Thanks for the info on the regulator QC. Can anyone give me some info on the condensor that screw in next to the regulator.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah that is a good question but i think it is something other than a condensor.

i have a coil from the new engine. it has a condensor looking thing. Is this a bolt on resistor or is it radio supression?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
F100camperspecial

Post by F100camperspecial »

The condenser looking thing is a condenser and it's for noise suppression. You can run without it, but your radio will pick up some alternator noise. Ford ran them at both the coil and the voltage regulater. On the regulater, the mechanical one is not adjustable and the trans (transistor) is. The trans unit has a (or used to) plastic screw to adjust voltage.
1972 F100 4x4 351M, HEI-TFI ignition, 435 4 speed, 205 xcase, wiper delay, additional dash lights, power disc/drum brakes, chevy short shaft, Moser long shaft w/Spicer 760 u-joints in both, and armstrong steering.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

:yt:

I asked a couple weeks ago or so about the condensor looking thing on my coil. When I put all the Accel stuff on, that condensor didn't go back on, and I didn't get any more noise in the radio than I already had.

I'm assuming it was already bad, or it didn't do anything to the radio to begin with, and the one by the voltage regulator is bad, and the culprit for the noise I already heard. :D
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
F100camperspecial

Post by F100camperspecial »

Well, the other is thing is what kind of noise are you hearing in the radio--a whirring whine is probably from the alternator, whereas spark plugs sound like a engine knock in the radio. That's why Ford ran one at the coil (plug noise) and one at the voltage reg (alternator noise). Sounds like you got it figured. You can also pitch the condensors and put a filter on the radio itself--check with Radio Crud or a car stereo shop. Take it easy! :)
1972 F100 4x4 351M, HEI-TFI ignition, 435 4 speed, 205 xcase, wiper delay, additional dash lights, power disc/drum brakes, chevy short shaft, Moser long shaft w/Spicer 760 u-joints in both, and armstrong steering.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Replace the cable, and clean the terminals on the battery. The bad connection will make your Alt. overcharge.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

they must have seen you coming.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah i get hit with 10 or 15. However the other day when i went back to check on one for the 77 it listed as the same part from wells for 29.95
fuelly.com
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

I guess its the blackening terminal that is causing this. What could be causing the positive terminal ( nothing happens to the negative one) to darken up and make the engine start up slow. thanks.....................

Weird...Never seen that before...Not in 30 minutes
time anyway..To me, getting black in 30 min would
seem to indicate high temps. Is that connector getting
real hot? Kinda sounds like it. You may have something
grounding out, or something along those lines. Do you
see the lights get real dim at times, or flicker, etc?
If that connector is getting real hot, I'd for sure get
the problem fixed. Could start a fire, or even cause
the battery to explode in some cases if it melted into
the battery. BTW.. I wouldn't buy a regulator unless
the one you have has been diagnosed as bad. What
makes you think that one is bad? Most auto parts
stores can check most electrical parts.
MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it's definetly a loose connection.
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

NM5K My lights will flicker if I turn the truck on with the lights already on. As for the regulator, I just had a hunch that it might not be working properly. The problem with the truck wanting to turn off when I came to a stop is fixed now. I think the carburetor was a little clogged up. So, now the only problem is this blackening terminal. I've replaced the cable but it still turns black along with the terminal. It could just be the battery that's messed up, or a bad ground as somes of y'all have said.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd