Stay
76%
Go
24%

Total votes: 33

tcope

Clearance Lights

Post by tcope »

So I have clearance lights on my truck, and I have been kind of thinking, "What the heck is the purpose of these things?"

Does anybody have a quick and simple answer to this question?

Also, just out of curiosity, if you had them on your truck, would they stay or would they go?
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Clearance Lights

Post by trukcrazy »

If you are talking about the ones on the cab roof, my crewcab has them and I intend to keep them on it. I haven't seen any like these so they make the truck unique. It also depends on what look you are after and if they fit in with that plan. If they are like mine and you decide to not use them, let me know as I would like to have some extras.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
tcope

Post by tcope »

I actually like them myself. Somebody I know commented that if it were her truck, they would probably get rid of them, so I was mostly just curious what the general consensus is on clearance lights.

So is there an actual practical purpose for them, or are they pretty much for looks?
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

the triple lights in the center are D.O.T. mandated clearance lights for vehicles over 80". Now, before you go saying that your truck isn't 80", I know (unless it's a dually).
they are there in case you haul a trailer over 80" wide. then you are legal for the front clearance light requirement.
I am thinking you have a Camper Special, yes?
Long and short of it, if you haul a car trailer, or anything over 80" wide, you need those lights to be 100% D.O.T. legal.
but a lot of people don't have them and they never get harrassed so I would say it becomes a look issue.

JM2cents!
mike
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm....thanks for that info, Mike. I wasn't aware of that.

Personally, I like 'em too. Gives a truck a 'heavy-duty' look. They wouldn't look right on a ProStreet truck, for example, but otherwise I'd have to say keep 'em.

Or you could find some REALLY unique clearance lights, like these that were on a recent E-bay truck. (I had to save this pic!) :D

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
tcope

Post by tcope »

Mike -

Thanks for the info. 8)

Actually, my F100 as far as I know is not a camper special. There is only one gas tank and no decals that say camper special. I guess the original owner must have just liked the look and ordered it with the lights or something........
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Do you have any pictures of your truck?
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

If you take them off you will have holes. I like them on a manly kind of pickup, like a highboy or a dually but the look out of place on an F-100
Keith, I'd buy that truck just to get those markers, they'd make great turn signals on the rat rod.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Tcope...you mentioned that your friend,who doesn't like them is a "she"....When a gal tells me she doesn't like my haircut,...or leisure suit,...or nose piercing,...I may get rid of them....But when she tells me what looks good or not on my truck,....well,...I definitely take that with a grain of salt....
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I just put a set on mine over the summer, not the best pic but they look good i think. Got them for $5 at a swap meet brand new.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Crazy_B

Post by Crazy_B »

I plan on putting some on mine. The question I have is where do you measure at to put them on. I assume you would find center and measure out so far from there. How far from center do you measure.
I've always been crazy but it keeps me from going insane.
When life gets you down remember one thing. Its only a Highway so pull your Hat down tight and just Ledoux it.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I set the center light first and then measured out for the other 2 and then the other 2, if I had to do it again I would of set the center light first, then set the 2 closest to the edge of the roof and then the other ones. hope that helps

-oldschoolrods
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

heres a pic of clearance lights on a 4x4 sb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Re: re: Clearance Lights

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

FORDification wrote: Or you could find some REALLY unique clearance lights, like these that were on a recent E-bay truck. (I had to save this pic!) :D

Hey I've got a set of those eagle lights! I bought them for my dually but the little lady went batty on me and won't let me install them!

If anyone wants a set go to www.iowa80.com and order a set. they are like $4.99, IIRC. any good truck stop/chrome shop can get them for ya! You would be amazed at what a big chrome shop has that will fit on your trucks!
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mk »

Seems to me you could get these in different configurations when these trucks were new. I've seen just the outer two installed and another with just the center three. Anybody else seen this? This may be an extension of what Mike said as well, with some dealers ordering or installing the bare minimum to meet legal requirements.

mike