need help wiring up some gauges

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

need help wiring up some gauges

Post by dotcentral »

Got a free aftermarket oil and ammeter or voltmeter gauge pod. I can't find a name so no idea what brand. How do I wire this up? I have factory oil, ammeter (?), & temp, but they don't work. What I'm calling an ammeter pegs when the key is on.

The back of each gauge has one thin red & one thin black wire for back lighting. I guess tap into the gauge lights for this?

The volts gauge has two threaded rods, each passing thru a small rubber grommet & into the back of the gauge. The oil has the connection for the oil line. I have the plastic line that came with it, but will plan on replacing. The oil gauge also has 1 threaded rod with a nut, conecting to the back of this gauge.

How do I wire? how does it ground? Where do I tee the oil line in? 302, with sending unit for factory gauge next to oil filter.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

For the oil, it should replace the oil sending unit. You will need to get the adapter fittings if they didn't come with it. Same with the water temp. The voltage just hooks up to any fuse that is only on when the key is on, and grounds to the body.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: need help wiring up some gauges

Post by dotcentral »

No temp gauge on this one.

I'd think the wires for the back light, red goes to keyed power source, like dash lights or radio? Black might be ground? If so, can i ground it to the dash or do i need to go elsewhere?

Thanks, sort of what I was guessing with ammeter, but haven't done this before so being a little overly cautious.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!