Rust proofing suggestions

General Discussion Topic Archives
fordloaf

Rust proofing suggestions

Post by fordloaf »

Anyone have tips on rust prevention for original trucks? My truck is 98% rust free and i would like to keep it that way. The only rust that i can find is some on the bottom of the radiator support. I have heard of some guys spraying oil on the bottom of there trucks but i dont know... Any ideas?
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Re: Rust proofing suggestions

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

fordloaf wrote: spraying oil on the bottom of there trucks
:lol: :lol: my trucks do that without me even trying! I should have the least rusty trucks in the PNW! :lol:
fordloaf

re: Rust proofing suggestions

Post by fordloaf »

Yes, my engine bay is well oiled, but that is not what i am worried about :roll:
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

My truck did not have much rust either, so I sprayed the areas where the rust started to form with rust treatment. It comes in a can, and anywhere that it comes into contact with rust it turns black. If it comes in contact with paint, it stays clear. I sprayed it in the seams of my bed, and the only place you can tell that it was sprayed was on the rust, which it treated. It somehow neutralizes the rust.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
fordloaf

Re: re: Rust proofing suggestions

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="71-F-250SC-72-F-250C"]My truck did not have much rust either, so I sprayed the areas where the rust started to form with rust treatment. It somehow neutralizes the rust.[/quote]

That sounds interesting, do you remember the name of that product?
Thanks
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I use a product called Bondo One Step for that purpose. It works well.
You should be able to get it at your auto parts store. It's around $11 for a can the size of a normal can of sray paint.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
2bocat

Post by 2bocat »

Google "rust converter" and you'll find lots of products to convert existing rust to primer.

To learn how they work, check http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/MetalC ... verter.htm

Most are phosphoric acid based products. Rustoleum, Eastwood and POR15 folks have some good ones, all must be followed with topcoat to prevent rust.
fordloaf

Re: re: Rust proofing suggestions

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="2bocat"]Google "rust converter" and you'll find lots of products to convert existing rust to primer. Rustoleum, Eastwood and POR15 folks have some good ones, all must be followed with topcoat to prevent rust.[/quote]

Don't you have to do a lot of prep work with POR15? Does P15 come in pray cans? I just want to clean off the worst and spary on something. I found this Amsol product that is like motorcycle chain lube that sound perfect for an after coat. More stick that just sparying the bottom with regular oil like some guys do.
2bocat

Post by 2bocat »

www.rustbullet.com is another pretty good product:

Application instructions:

Rust Bullet® may be applied by brush, roller, or spray. Application equipment must be clean and free of moisture or any and all other paint, especially latex, or paints containing alcohol. The surface to be coated must be dry, and large flakes of rust should be scraped or wire brushed off. Remove loose mill scale by lightly scraping, sanding, or wire brushing. All surfaces must be free of loose rust, moisture, dirt, mildew, oily substances, wax, loose paint, and loose particles. The surface to be coated must be completely dry. No additional surface preparation is necessary.

Rust Bullet® covers approximately 200 square feet per gallon with a two coat application, depending on type and condition of the surface.

It is critical that at least two coats of Rust Bullet® be applied, dry film thickness (dry coat thickness) of 3 mils each (0.003 inches or 0.076 millimeters). It is particularly important that the first coat be generous enough to soak through the rust to the steel or iron underneath. A second coat of Rust Bullet® must be applied to completely seal the first coat; this cannot be done with any other paint or coating material. Rust Bullet® recommends that the coverage in mils be a finished dry film thickness of 3 mils applied two times equaling a minimum of 6 mils finished dry film thickness. Optimum drying time between coats is approximately 4 hours. When applying Rust Bullet® over existing paint or primers, it is very important to rough the surface with 150 grit sand paper or scuff pad prior to the application of Rust Bullet®. This also applies to a previous coat of Rust Bullet® if 72 hours have lapsed between additional coats or the application of a topcoat. For heavy industrial or marine use, a repeated coating of Rust Bullet®, not to be less than 12 mils finished dry film thickness, is recommended. Any shortage of material may limit Rust Bullet's® effectiveness. For maximum rust prevention, ensure corners, edges, and heavily pitted areas are adequately covered. The final coat of Rust Bullet® may be topcoated after 24 hours with almost any paint if a different color is needed or desired. Cure time varies based on relative humidity and temperature of the surface: 80% in 4 hours, fully cured in 72 hours. When applying Rust Bullet®, it is recommended that the air or surface temperature not be below 35oF (2°C) or above 110°F (43°C). Ideal application temperature is between 50°F (10°C) and 80°F (27°C) with humidity below 90% to ensure proper drying. Do not apply to surfaces when the existing temperature of the surface exceeds 150°F (65°C). After curing, Rust Bullet® has a service temperature range of 314°F. Immediately after use, equipment must be cleaned with acetone, toluene, xylene, or MEK.
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

"The surface to be coated must be dry, and large flakes of rust should be scraped or wire brushed off. Remove loose mill scale by lightly scraping, sanding, or wire brushing. All surfaces must be free of loose rust, moisture, dirt, mildew, oily substances, wax, loose paint, and loose particles. The surface to be coated must be completely dry. [b]No additional surface preparation is necessary. [/b]??? :lol: :hmm:
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

:hmm: Move to Arizona :lol: No rust here. Sorry couldn't resist.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

POR seems to be the popular choice, but don't overlook the steel conversion coating that www.aircraftfinishing.com sells.. .it's non toxic and will brush or spray on.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Zero Rust works very well and is more durable (chip resistant) that POR-15 or Eastwoods product.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

I put BPS farm implement and tractor paint on the bottom of my cab, floorpans etc. It went on easy and looks good. Its from Tractor Supply and comes in 25 diff colors including 4 or 5 Ford only colors.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

I know this sounds strange but i would prefer the bare metal look rather than a painted look. :oops: I think i will use some of your suggestions on the thinner metal and for the fram i will use that spray on lubricant stuff.