Trailer brake controller

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Freightrain

Trailer brake controller

Post by Freightrain »

Ok, put a hitch on '67 F100 and installed brake controller. Works great...........sorta.

With the hazards on.........the brake controller activates with blinkers!
So, I know there is a fix for this. Seems somewhere I read there is something to do to change this. Has not been an issue, yet, but someday, some way..... :roll:
Bump'n along.
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

i am not a wiring type of guy , but sounds like faulty wiring. my 67 f-250 cam with an energizer controller but haven't really looked at it or tested it.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Trailer brake controller

Post by 68F250 »

The wiring is ok, it's a backfeed issue that all Fords do. With the key off, turn on your radio and then turn on your hazards and flip on the blinkers, the radio will go on and off!

Freightrain, do you recall where you read about the fix?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I think we used to set in the truck and listen to the radio by turning on the hazzards and holding the brake pedal down. I forgot all about that.
If you have one of those new digital contollers, they stink. For these old trucks the ones with the brake line are much nicer. The digital ones come on when ever you touch the brake, full on to whatever you have it set at, they do not modulate with pedal pressure. Real annoying in heavy traffic as you really need full brakes, as in turned all the way up, incase because you have to run so close to other motorists. But then every time you even touch the brakes the trailer is at full brake panic stop yank the knob slide the tires.
I found a 50s Warner control that i9s just a handle so I can do the trailer brakes as much as I want, whenever I want. I like it, more control and I am a control freak.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Some where I have an old 70's era brake controller. Don't know if it works but its free for the price of shipping. I think Hayes Kelsey is the manf. Something like that.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

'68.......not sure where I read something about this? Some forum somewhere??

Ya, I hate digi controllers, but I had it and don't want to spend MORE money. For the use it might get it's not worth doing more. Maybe once a year(I put a hitch on the back of my Mack so I have something that can pull ANYTHING I could want).

I was thinking that maybe someone here might have heard of a fix. I know it's a back feed thing. I suppose a correctly picked Diode would kill the back feed.

I don't recall having this issue on my '70 way back in the eighties? But it was too long ago and I don't recall ever trying the hazards(or needing to).
Bump'n along.
surubet

Re: re: Trailer brake controller

Post by surubet »

willowbilly3 wrote: For these old trucks the ones with the brake line are much nicer.
I found a 50s Warner control that i9s just a handle so I can do the trailer brakes as much as I want, whenever I want. I like it, more control and I am a control freak.
Now that is interesting! Which line do they cut into? Front or rear? I might have to go looking for one of those!
1970 Ranger XLT F250 Camper Special, 2X4, 360, Factory A/C, 2 tone in greens.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I am not sure which line, but you don't have to cut, they come with a brass fitting the Ts the line for you right off the master cylinder.
Those old Kelsey Hayes and similiar units are still plentiful in junkyards, swap meets, yard sales ect. Since they have a chamber for brake fluid and brake fluid is hydroscopic (SP?) anyway it sucks up water, you may have to buy 2 or 3 to get a good one.
Here is the one I use. I found this one in a junk store for $2. It is stricly manual, not conected to the pedal.
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

My 72 had one and it was t'd into the front brake line. Also a Kelsey-Hayes. I removed it not long ago when I replaced the master cylinder, because the 360 with over 300K miles on it didn't want to pull trailers anymore!
surubet

Post by surubet »

That is a nicer setup than I imagined willowbilly3! Much easier to reach than one mounted all the way below the dash or one with wires dangling off the top of the dash. I'm going to start looking for one (or two or three to make sure I don't get stuck with rust)! Thank you for the photo's!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

It is set so I just hang my index finger through the steering wheel to engage the lever. Too bad you probably won't find many of this type. I have only aver seen a few and those were 40 years ago. It is basically just a big reostat inside so I think with any ingenuity a person might be able to make one.
I had found this one in California when on the trip to bring the crewcab home. I thought for a couple bucks I would take a chance and use it as a temporary thing to get the truck home until I could mount a Kelsey-hayes. I like this well enough to keep it and plus I dig the art deco look.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Willowbilly3, what horn ring do you have on your steering wheel? The plastic center piece looks different. :hmm:
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
surubet

Post by surubet »

willowbilly3 wrote:Here's one for $15
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... enameZWDVW
Thanks for looking! I took a look and sent him an email to see if he possibly has the other parts too. Think I will set the sniper up to make a bid on it either way. Thanks again! I really like the art deco look too.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

surubet wrote:
willowbilly3 wrote:Here's one for $15
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... enameZWDVW
Thanks for looking! I took a look and sent him an email to see if he possibly has the other parts too. Think I will set the sniper up to make a bid on it either way. Thanks again! I really like the art deco look too.
That's all I got when I found mine. You just need a hose clamp to hold it on and wire, although that handle is too long.

I think it was Greg that gave me the horn ring. It does have a different center than most. Maybe it was off a Falcon or Mustang as I think this basic steering wheel was used on some cars.