Pa-Paw's '71

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

dagwoodzz

Pa-Paw's '71

Post by dagwoodzz »

Here is my dad's '71 that I intend to restore within reason to original. My immediate concerns are the amount of rust on the body. I am looking for good advice on what to repair and what to replace.

My biggest concern is the rust just above the molding on the bed. after it is grinded out the gap will be as much as .25". My thoughts are to fill with .375" round bar and weld from the outside, then grind the weld smooth so there will be no seam at all.

2nd, on the bed rust I will look for a donor and cut out patches to place over the holes in the bed.

3rd is the door rust on the bottom. It seam that it could be repaired pretty inexpensively, but I would like some advice as to whether after market doors or j/y doors might would be a better solution.

Remember I am early into this and I have 9 years before my 7 yr old is driving. Below you will find a link to my introduction post.

All contributions will be valued, even if they recommend selling for scrap.

Thanks in advanc, Dag

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =1&t=48499
Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, give 'em hell, Alabama!
brandon.k
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Pa-Paw's '71

Post by brandon.k »

Thats gonna be a kool project. What motor and trans is in it?
ImageImage
dagwoodzz

Post by dagwoodzz »

Straight 6 manual 3speed. I'm so preoccupied with the rust I didn't even think about taking pics under the hood. There isn't much to look at, but it's obvious how much unused real estate is in the engine compartment. Not ready to think about more hp yet :)
Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, give 'em hell, Alabama!
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

8), the factory colors of your truck are identical to mine assuming the sea-foam green is original(on the dash), and mine's a SWB Custom like yours as well, only difference is a few cubic inches and I have one more gear than you :lol:. Our trucks are almost in the same condition too, they may be twins or something :lol: 8). Good looking truck your pa-paw had their, and good luck with your restoration :thup:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
f100fordtruck

Post by f100fordtruck »

I thought it was your truck casey, had to take a 2nd look at the name haha
I'll get it one piece at a time and it wont cost me a dime...