painted today

Moderator: FORDification

ken's1971

painted today

Post by ken's1971 »

well, i painted today, my truck is tu tone boxwood green and mallard green. uhm well lets just say i complained about there not being enough light and there still was'nt today why, cause its hot as blazez in oregon right now during the day and i did started at 7:00 and had some technical difficulties :cry: its ok but i will take pictures tomorrow and inspect the finish closer but i'm not liking the looks of things.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: painted today

Post by heep70 »

:?
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Hope you have better luck than I. I did all the prep work and primed the whole truck, inside and out. My color coat, however, was a disaster. I still can't figure out what happened as the was my fourth time and the previous jobs looked good for an amateur. Anyhow, I ended up wet sanding my job and taking it to a pro to shoot the color. Came out pretty nice but I spent a lot more than I had intended. Good luck.
jor
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Glad to hear there is another mallard green out there. I'm close to owning a Seafoam Green over Mallard Green 71 F100. Planning to keep it original colors.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: painted today

Post by flyboy2610 »

ken's1971 wrote:uhm well lets just say i complained about there not being enough light and there still was'nt today why, cause its hot as blazez in oregon right now during the day
Humid, too, no doubt.
What does your paint can say about painting temperatures?
The spray paint I have says not to paint if the temperature of the air or metal is above 90 degrees.
That could have caused problems.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
ken's1971

Post by ken's1971 »

ok, did the other half of the two tone today, actually i have to say now that the first half of the two tone, the boxwood actually turned out ok, at least compared to the mallard green, the problem was trying to get it too wet, i tried to get it done to fast with only two coats but really i was being to slow with the gun and it dribbled alot so i'll tell you what the paint store suggests to fix it but it got alot of sanding too do, btw some did ok half way through i realized my problem and started doing lighter faster coats. On the hood and the front fenders and doors i did this, and it helped alot so my conclusion is the 2 coat recomendation that the can says for ppg omni is for professionals and the 3 light coat suggestion i got from the jobber is the way to go.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I just got done spraying some ghost flames on my oldest daughter's pickup and had to do it in the middle of the night as well, because of high temps and low humidity. I always ground everything in the paint booth and try to keep the humidity about 30% and temps around 70F. They turned out pretty good, but there was still lots of static in the air so I gathered a bit of junk.. not a big deal since she wants to buff it out, but it's still annoying to me :x .
As far as your spraying goes, make sure you're not too far from the metal when you're spraying... I taught aircraft painting for years and found that most people tend to hold the gun too far away and try to make too wide of a pattern... I use about 3" and turn the feed down a bit.. then use 50% overlap.. it takes a bit longer, but you get a much nicer finish without alot of work.
Don't forget to wear your safety gear!!!
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

John that's a pretty sweet flame job. Will you paint my truck, and my other truck and my bikes and uuuhhhh maybe a sweet vertical flame job on my house?
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Sorry Shrek, I did custom paint for a while, and got tired of it... too many people that "want it perfect" but don't want to pay :argue: , so it takes ALOT to get me to budge off TDC and start one of those jobs... but the flames were actually taped out by my oldest daughter and she and her Mom did most of the prep work, so she talked me into this one :hmm: .. somehow....
John H.
PS.. Sorry Ken.. didn't mean to "hijack" the thread.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!