How much paint?

Moderator: FORDification

Aternus

How much paint?

Post by Aternus »

I'm just about ready to spray my 1970 F100 Ranger, long bed, and I'm wondering how much paint it will take to cover the whole thing. I don't plan on removing the cab but I do plan on removing the bed. I'm also hoping to go with a clear over the color. Any good guesses on how much paint I will need to order? 1 gal., 2 gal.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I take it thats not the current pic?? :-) :-P

sorry had to ask
Aternus

re: How much paint?

Post by Aternus »

It's the before. Soon I'll post the after. I should be able to paint the truck with 2 gal of paint, right?
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

I would order atleast a gallon and a half to be on the safe side. if you're planing on painting inside the bed and jaming the doors and underneath the hood better order the two gallons. I'm assuming you're shooting with compressed air. I've been painting for about 10 years now, mostly restorations and show cars, and I shoot with a tubine system and I'm almost certain that I could shoot it with about a gallon.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

It depends largely on your gun and the way you paint.. if you use a good HVLP gun, and follow instructions on how to set it up properly, you can get by with a gallon... If you don't paint too often, or haven't painted too much, or are using a high pressure gun, you better grab a couple gallons.. There's lots of other variables in there, but that's probably the biggest one....
It's alot easier to have too much, than not enough.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!