Calling all f100/f250 Prerunners

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: Calling all f100/f250 Prerunners

Post by FORDification »

The term 'pre-runner' used to apply to trucks that were built to scout out an off-road race course, kind of a slower 'trial run', prior to actually running the race with the race truck. They had to be built to withstand the course, but didn't have all the high-dollar items that the main race truck would have.

I ran across the following pictures on my computer, thought I'd toss these into the discussion. These are of a '71 SWB that was listed on E-bay a while ago.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

yep the owner of that truck has been building away on it. You should see it now. He built a whole new front end along with many other things.
The paint is about the only thing the same now.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

AC is officially deleted. Saved a lot of weight, engine ran a lot better (smoother) and had more power.

Ordered an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold and some Hedman Headers. Going to run open headers for now since we're not driving it more than a half mile.

Also picked up some Rancho RS5000 that are going in on Wednesday. Still trying to track down some replacement leafs. Also still looking into tires & wheels.

All in all pretty hectic running around :woohoo:
1972 2WD 351 Windsor F-100 - WIP
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

AC DELETED!!!

Then we noticed something odd that we missed while inspecting the truck...

The carb is actually a 4 barrel 650 CFM Carter, but it is being force fed into a 2 barrel intake!
Removing the crap adapter and sticking my Edlebrock Performer on there tonight. Should make
a world of difference. Ill try to get video of it firing up and whatnot.

Pertronix Coil & Ignitor 2 is on order. Heard they make a world of difference. Anyone used these?

Also the person who owned it before me was lazy or whatever and used water as a coolant.
No wonder the damn thing overheats when it sits still for a bit.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Looking good, AC is the first thing i took out of my truck too, and now look where it's at :D
Funny how that 4 barrel is stuck on there!!
I might be interested in that carb if you don't want it
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:Looking good, AC is the first thing i took out of my truck too, and now look where it's at :D
Funny how that 4 barrel is stuck on there!!
I might be interested in that carb if you don't want it

Carb is good for now ;)

I hope you have a performer intake or some kind of custom intake. The difference is incredible. Not only in just
raw performance but the weight saving was insane. At least 40-50 lbs. Truck is just crazy fast now. It runs a hell
of a lot smoother as well.

Put the Ranchos in the front but I was just too tired at that point (3AM) to take pictures. Real change will come when
we take the ORIGINAL shocks out of the back and put the Ranchos there. Petronix Igniter 2 and Coil is in as well but
I wasn't there when it fired up. Apparently runs even smoother throughout the power band.

New problems:
Radiator is junk. Bled all over the driveway. *sigh* another 200ish for a new one
Power steering bled as well, but fixed with just some new hose
Mechanical fuel pump still is finicky. Doesn't flow enough for our tastes and the engine
starts a little hard at times because of it.

33s for sure come today the 12th so I cant wait. Ill def grab some pics for you guys. It's going to take an apocalypse for us
to not bolt those mofos up and see how they fit.

Still trying to find replacement leafs for the back. Can't do anything with the rear till we find some
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

oh man, that looks sweet, i'm sure you gained a little something with that intake swap :thup:
Thats the same intake i am looking for, for my '69 f100 390 build.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Ranchos and new tires. Sadly the tires don't fit. Going to have to grab some autofab fenders or something. How much are they?

Just... what the hell? Crappy leafs. 5 pack. Don't even know where they came from. What is this?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:oh man, that looks sweet, i'm sure you gained a little something with that intake swap :thup:
Thats the same intake i am looking for, for my '69 f100 390 build.
Yep! Like a brand new truck :D

I need help trimming my fenders. My 285/75s are not clearing at all. I posted pics in the tire thread but would really
really appreciate any help you can give me in this area. We don't mind hacking it up a bit. Not at all.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Teaser shot before cutting. Wheels don't have hubs on them yet. Just lazy and checking fitment.

Electric fuel pump, new 3 core Heatbuster radiator go in Sunday. :thup:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Tycho wrote: Teaser shot before cutting. Wheels don't have hubs on them yet. Just lazy and checking fitment.

You're working pretty fast!
Oh, and i noticed you happen to have disc brakes up front, that's great. F100's didn't come with disc brakes, so someone must of done a swap with a dentside :thup:
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:
Tycho wrote: Teaser shot before cutting. Wheels don't have hubs on them yet. Just lazy and checking fitment.

Oh, and i noticed you happen to have disc brakes up front, that's great. F100's didn't come with disc brakes, so someone must of done a swap with a dentside :thup:
To be fair I have 2 very good mechanic friends who have done a lot of the stuff so far for me. They have the free time and tools. I'm not great with a wrench. I can, however,
plan and pay the bills ;)

Headers they gave me don't fit. They have a different bolt pattern for some reason. Bummer! wanted to take a video of open headers :cry:
The disc brakes are out of a 78/79ish dent I'm guessing. They have the big air scoop thing on them.

going to DVAP which is a legendary pick n pull tomorrow for some springs. They have about two dozen F100/F250 candidates.

http://www.dvautoparts.com/

Ordering bushings, steering wheel and trying to figure out the coil situation tomorrow. Might just order the damn econo lift from autofab but I've heard Jon is a dick.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Tycho wrote:
1971ford wrote:

To be fair I have 2 very good mechanic friends who have done a lot of the stuff so far for me. They have the free time and tools. I'm not great with a wrench. I can, however,
plan and pay the bills ;)

Headers they gave me don't fit. They have a different bolt pattern for some reason. Bummer! wanted to take a video of open headers :cry:
The disc brakes are out of a 78/79ish dent I'm guessing. They have the big air scoop thing on them.

going to DVAP which is a legendary pick n pull tomorrow for some springs. They have about two dozen F100/F250 candidates.

http://www.dvautoparts.com/

Ordering bushings, steering wheel and trying to figure out the coil situation tomorrow. Might just order the damn econo lift from autofab but I've heard Jon is a dick.
that pick n pull is huge.
Where did you hear John is a dick? Ive heard tons and tons of people say that he might be hard to get hold of but he is a great guy. He loves old Fords. ALthough i don't have first hand experience with him, I'm only saying what I've heard. I'd give him a call and if he sounds like a jerk then spend your money else where.
Oh and also, after my first set of bigger tires, a new steering wheel was one of the 2nd/3rd things to do to my truck too, you seem to be following my footsteps :D So when does the rollcage start lol
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote: Where did you hear John is a dick? Ive heard tons and tons of people say that he might be hard to get hold of but he is a great guy.
On race dezert. "abrasive" was the word. Dixon bros is coming out with some fiberglass for F100s that looks great so Im going to go with that when the time is right.

I need damn COILS up front though so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Need 2 inches of lift or so. Any more than that and the ranchos are wasted before even really using them. :roll:
1971ford wrote: Oh and also, after my first set of bigger tires, a new steering wheel was one of the 2nd/3rd things to do to my truck too, you seem to be following my footsteps :D So when does the rollcage start lol
Whenever you give me the skinny on some nice fab shops in Phoenix. :wink:

I need a paint shop too. Not gonna home-brew it. You can't really paint over blitz black with anything nice (only other enamels) so I think Ill go with Hot Rod Flatz. Maybe OD green (with a black grille and blacked out trim) or flat black with chrome. Haven't decided.

Edit: Checker ordered me 351M headers. No wonder they didn't bolt up... I'll just play it safe and ask for 302 headers for my year truck :evil:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Oh haha
I figured that is where you heard it, I saw that post on RDC too. I was surprised to see that, he said the bedsides wern't as nice as he hoped for either. I hope he's isn't losing quality control.
I have no idea where to get 2" lift coils for a 2wd. Unless you get 4" lift coils and cut them down.
-Ryan