Hood Flip

Moderator: FORDification

GreaseMonkey

Hood Flip

Post by GreaseMonkey »

I want to do a hood flip on my 68 truck. The thing is I dont want the hood to just pivot but raise up and out in front of the nose kinda like a car trunk lid does. So what I was thinking was to get some car trunk lid hinges, the latching mechanism, and some gas struts and go from there. What do you guys think, any suggestions??? Thanx,
Don
1968 Ford F-250 "Puck" / 360ci V8 / C6 / Dana 60 Rear Axle (Resting in the "Big Pasture in the Sky")
1976 Ford F-250 Hi-Boy "Bubba" / 360ci FE V8 / 4spd T-18 / NP205 / Dana 44/60 Axles

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=633
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-1498
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Hood Flip

Post by customcrewcab »

its been done heres a pic of one. i think it would be a pain to on anything under the hood thats in the front.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10106
if theres a new way, i'll be the first in line. it better work this time

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You might look at late 70's-early to mid 80's bmws. Most stuff from the factory that had a front opening hood also slides the hood forward.

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I think you are thinking of Buick LeSabre/ParkAve.

Like everything else on them, the hood hinges are usually broken. :eek:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Kraig

Post by Kraig »

I just remember a guy I used to work with had some forgettable GM frontwheel drive car that the hood slid out and flipped forward. Maybe it was a Buick... they all looked the same to me!
1969 F100 Ranger LWB Big Block, factory bucket seats and behind seat storage (arrived 3/21/12) (and it was free!)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 247K and still going strong! (sold with 251,758 miles on it!)
1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang (1 of 83) "the original Fox body "R" model!!"
1972 Ford F-100 LWB SOLD 5/2/6
1995 F150 XLT Supercab (wanna trade for a Bump?)
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Not sure how they work exactly, but early 60's T-birds had front flip hoods. Maybe checkout a t-bird site, unless someone here knows how their hinges work.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Hood Flip

Post by GT-Racer »

Kraig wrote:I just remember a guy I used to work with had some forgettable GM frontwheel drive car that the hood slid out and flipped forward. Maybe it was a Buick... they all looked the same to me!
yes It was the Buick Lesabre, My sister had one and it slid forward then tilted. specifically the 89-90 models for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by customcrewcab »

heres another pic of that red truck with the flip hood. if i remember right the truck was built in 1980 so its worked for a long time. looks like he might have three hings. one on each end and one in the middle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by customcrewcab »

this is what i would do. get some 1" tube and use it to support your hood. then attach you hinges to that. then you know its suporting the whole hood instead of just one end. it should also make it strong and easier to open and close because the hood will have less flex. heres a pic on what i am talking about.