Bed wheel well bar?!

Moderator: FORDification

fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Bed wheel well bar?!

Post by fuzzier1 »

I have a question for everyone. My 71 SWB's bed wheel wells in front of the rear wheels move in and out fairly easily. Is there supposed to be brace rods coming from the bottom of the bed down to the bottom of the wheel well? If anyone could post pics of these and measurements of said rods if they are there (I think they would HAVE to be there but not on mine) it would be appreciated.

Bill
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Bed wheel well bar?!

Post by rjewkes »

do you mean the well part you can see and touch from inside the bed or the body side skin?

AFAIK they do have a bedside to bed bottom strut just in front and behind the well to keep the skin from flapping. but the well itself that hump thing in the bed is spot welded in in several places. and if rusted or busted at these spots will flex.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

I am talking about the outside skin of the bed, right in front of the rear tire.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yes, there should be support brackets/braces on all four corners. Here's a shot of the underside of my '67 SWB box. It's standing on end in my shop. The top of the picture is the front of the box.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fuzzier1 »

Thanks Keith, could I get a close up pic of those and a measurement so I can fab or what have you to fix mine?

Bill