I think found a newer step bumper that will bolt on

Moderator: FORDification

junkyardjeff

I think found a newer step bumper that will bolt on

Post by junkyardjeff »

I am not 100 percent sure due to the previous owner welding two plates on the rear part of the frame for a camper bumper,the plates had holes the lined up with the ones in the frame but a few inches lower. I bought a aftermarket step bumper that came off a 73-87 chevy truck since the frame width is the same for the 65 to 72 fords,two of the many holes in the aftermarket bumper brackets lined up with the the holes in the plates that were welded on and the bumper sits about 3 inches lower then I like but now I have a bumper and can tow and I dont have to worry about someone hitting me and ruining the bed. It looked like the bumper would of bolted on using the original holes and been in the correctv location but the bed would have to be removed to cut off the plates and I will do that when I remove the bed to paint the truck and will find a correct bumper for it,if anyone else is having a problem finding a good step bumper for their truck a aftermarket 73 to 87 chevy bumper will work but those newer aftermarket bumpers dont look as strong as the older ones do. Jeff
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: I think found a newer step bumper that will bolt on

Post by dotcentral »

I gave my old Ford factory step bumper to my dad to put on his 91 Chevy truck. He had to do a little work where the bumper wraps around the side of the bed, but bolted up fairly easy. I think he said the Chevy frame was about 1/4" narrower. His Chevy bumper had rusted through and new replacements are couple hundred bucks where he lives, used can't be found.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!