rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by rjewkes »

Ok this is actualy i should be asking cooley direct but then somebody else might also know! 8) Ok guys i'm rattle canning my 72 f100 every comes out smoouth and nice and shiny but the hood has rough spots no matter what i do! What is a trick for evening it out, would 800 grit emery gloth wetsanding work? rubbing compound what? The only part that looks rough is in between the exact center and the outside before it drops down to go flat again to match body lines. ive tried clear over it evened it out a little.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
big_blue_72

re: rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by big_blue_72 »

rattle can? yikes!! you might try too spray a few light coats to cover the area first let each coat dry fer about 10 to 15 mins when it is covered spray 1 or 2 medium wet coats then wet sand it with 1000 grit sand paper wet then tack it and spray maybe 1 or 2 more wet coats
FORD the Heartbreak of todays Chevrolet
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

It sound as though the can is at the wrong angle to properly cover that area. I'm thinking you could turn the can 90* to get a narrow kind of fan and move quickly to avoid puddling. I once had a friend use my carport to paint his VW bug a bright canary yellow. Took him 13 cans! Good luck.
jor
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Spray painting can look very nice if done properly. I will probably have to do mine the same way. Or take it to Maaco. :eek:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

You would think it would take more than 13 cans to paint a car. How many cans has it taken you so far to paint your truck?
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

being as that I have chose the 6 diferent TU-tone schemes it has taken me 80 cans at a dollar a can walmart gen. purpose paint.

Don't worry have finnaly picked the colors Candy apple red/black.

most of it looks nice the bottom half of the truck looks like faded factory. but that is what the clear coat is for. :lol: thanks for the ideas guys.

The only reason I have to rattle it is the local body shops are appearantly so rich that even with out people getting their cars and trucks painted they can turn down my Truck as a customer. Because unless it is 1995 or newer it just not possible to get enough Mula out of my insurance company(the guy assumed I would have my insurance Pay for my paint job).

And the local restoration place wants double what the body shop would if they would touch my truck. Must be nice to be able to turn down a job.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

This is somethinmg that is becoming increasingly common in Lincoln as well. The body shops don't want to take on private jobe because that ties up their personnel from working on insurance jobs, which is what they reaaly want. :x
I was only half kidding when I mentioned Maaco. They are about the only folks that will paint a car for average folks.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

From what I understand, and it depends on the franchise, the Maaco guys are actually really good sprayers, but not so hot at prep, especially as no one can afford to pay them what it takes to prep a truck right.

Maybe prep it yourself, and have them lay down the color?
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
Kraig

Post by Kraig »

My twin brother (SVT522) had his truck painted at Maaco.......it looks GOOD! You can see pics in the photo gallery.....
1969 F100 Ranger LWB Big Block, factory bucket seats and behind seat storage (arrived 3/21/12) (and it was free!)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 247K and still going strong! (sold with 251,758 miles on it!)
1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang (1 of 83) "the original Fox body "R" model!!"
1972 Ford F-100 LWB SOLD 5/2/6
1995 F150 XLT Supercab (wanna trade for a Bump?)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thats 'cuase In the golden state(where I was born and raised for 15 years)Everything costs lik it was made from gold. :lol: Mine i think is becuase after i sanded it i did not hit it with a tack cloth.
fuelly.com
big_blue_72

Post by big_blue_72 »

i cant believe you guys are rattle canning yer trucks :?
FORD the Heartbreak of todays Chevrolet
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

well with no local maacos or shops willing to touch anything insurance won't pay for. Yeah it takes a little more work but eh. Only other thing to do is sue the insurance companies for creating this kind of arrangement.

But theyed countersue us for being part of a society who has laws requiring insurance.
fuelly.com
tubewatts

Post by tubewatts »

I just did it so the hood would be the same color as the rest of the truck- and it looks mighty good :D
Recognition is the key to discovery
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by dcbullet »

tubewatts wrote:I just did it so the hood would be the same color as the rest of the truck- and it looks mighty good :D
I'm planning on doing the same. My hood paint is gone basically, while the rest of the truck is at least all one color. I will eventually go with painting the whole truck, but it's far back on the priority list.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Well good news i figured it out my buddy brought over his sanding getup and we sanded it down to bare metal and sprayed it with primer but on second can of primer it goofed up for a second and got extra thick spackle looking crap in three spots. :lol: And a little sanding with 800 gritt and it is smooth again one more coat of color and some clear look good as new.
fuelly.com