starter question?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

starter question?

Post by rjewkes »

Is the guts from an FE starter the same internally as a 302?

Could i swap good guts from one to a 302's?

my starter is now acting like thbe other fella from canadas post. it is slowly turning the engine then styopping and only making a grind/ super fast spinning sound. But if i get out the engine will still move with slight force.

maybe i'm going through this so i can understand his poroblem? :dk:

but it engages and moves then acts like lock down. could i have a bad bendix in there?

or perhaps chunked the nose cone?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

be sure there is no oil leak either, oil is tough on starters. went through three of them in 4 months on an 84 merc until i found and fixed the oil problem.
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: starter question?

Post by Thunderfoot »

The only differance in the starters is the nose cone where it bolts to the motor... Unbolt the one off of the 302 and bolt it on the FE starter and you have it...
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

On 302's the stick and automatic starters have different noses. One is longer than the other.
I got a lifetime warrenty starter from NAPA for my 302 and it was less than $50 exchange. They had it in stock.
69 F-100 Ranger 302