carb adjustments

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

instead of a new thread i will just use this one for all my problems. now the truck won't start, seems like it is not getting gas, I replaced fuel filter then tried starting, no go. then I poured a little gas into the carb itself, it fired right up but quickly died again once it used up the gas that was poured in. will this be the fuel pump gone bad? if so on these older vehicles is the fuel pump located on the engine block where you have to push the rod up before installing the pump?
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

I think it is the fuel pump. undid the line at the carb and am not getting any gas there, by chance do you know what size of socket it takes to take it off, can't see the top of the thing unless i unbolt stuff from the top which i may have to do to make the job easier.
hossw71SportC.

Post by hossw71SportC. »

Hey Westernkansas,
What town are you from?
I'm in Goodland.

While you have the line off have someone go and crank her over and see if any gas comes out.
If not ether you have a bad pump or line is blocked by some crud.
Get-R-Done
71 F100 Sport Custom
99 F250 Powerstroke
westernkansas

re: carb adjustments

Post by westernkansas »

hays or as the locals say hace. I will try, the auto parts store did not have one in stock until friday, although they said it might come in yet today being 10 am when i went in to get one. they are open till 9 so i will drive by on my lunch to check.
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

well pump is replaced was easier then i thought it would be, now i am having problems with not getting enough juice down to the starter i would crank on it and the starter will engage then let go and spin, I remember there was a thread on this topic but unable to find it now. I filled and charged the battery, replaced the cable from battery to silinoid. still problems, while taking cable to starter off i noticed the post on starter felt loose, may end up replacing the starter, but first ill tighten up that post after I purchase a new cable to goto the starter. I'll let ya'll know if this fixes the problem or not.
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

onto another project I have planned, I need to replace the rubber fuel neck to the back tank, while I am at it I will need to replace the float in that tank cause it doesn't register what I have in there. any tips on removing the bed and replace these parts would be helpfull.