80-84 Intermittent Wipers Revisited

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Whoaaanelly

80-84 Intermittent Wipers Revisited

Post by Whoaaanelly »

Keith, et al,

I've tried to find the 79 series wiper delay, but of the 3 attempts (2 eBay and one wrecking yard) I now have 3 sets of the post '80 version. I've read your description on this style of switch/delay about 2-dozen times, and I still don't understand (and I've designed the entire wiring circuits on a few cars already). Here's the text from your page again:
However, in 1980 the wiper delay switch's plugs were slightly re-designed. The '80-'86 units will still plug into the '67-'72 trucks' wiring harness and all normal wiper functions will work, but one wire on the delay unit (the power wire to the washer pump) will need to be moved to supply power to the washer pump.

When you connect the main wiring harness to the wiper delay switch's harness, you'll notice that the lime-colored wire (the washer pump's power wire) coming from the main harness does not have a corresponding tab in the wiper delay switch's harness. You'll need to move the black/white wire from the wiper delay switch harness to the slot that will connect it to the lime green wire of the truck harness.
You indicate the need to move a wire to supply power to the washer pump. I traced the wiring on the switch through the entire path to the wiper motor and back again and it seems the power to the pump can be had at terminal 296. In all switch positions I can get a connection between 63, 297 and 296 when I press the switch. In addition, I can find no sign of a lime-colored wire. And I guess I'm not sure which harnesses are which. Which is the main wiring harness and which is the delay switches wiring harness? And once that is established, which terminal wire - based upon the connector numbers and wire numbers found in your '79 diagram - is the terminal you mention needing to be swapped?

Is there supposed to be any activation of the wiper when you use the washer switch? That might be a wrench in my plan.

All that said and asked, I did some editing of the '79 diagram to show what I think is the way it works (at least in my 67) with the '80 assy. It doesn't seem that I need to swap any wires unless I'm missing something. Notice specifically the internal switch connection. If the image loads correctly, have a look and let me know what you think. Of course, if you can use the drawing, feel free.

[/quote]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger
65 Falcon 2-door Wagon
63 Falcon Ranchero
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: 80-84 Intermittent Wipers Revisited

Post by mk »

If you can simply plug the timer box harness to your dash harness and get all the speeds and washer function, I wouldn't be worrying about lime wires :)
All I can remember from when I put an 86 timer box and switch in my 68, I just had to move one wire in the timer to dash harness plug to get the washer pump to work. It was an obvious choice at the time because there was one wire from the dash plug meeting an empty socket in the timer plug. I don't remember wire colors but I'll go take a look when I get a couple of minutes...

mike
Always drink upstream from the herd...

~Will Rogers

Mercury truck ID thread:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=35331
Ford truck model history:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=37394
Using dentside fender liners:
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=35675
Matchbox diecast bumps:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=45618
Whoaaanelly

re: 80-84 Intermittent Wipers Revisited

Post by Whoaaanelly »

I've got all the wiring out of the truck at the moment (getting all cleaned, straightened, spliced where needed, and rewrapped with harness tape), so I'm going to just plug it in to see what it does regardless. From what I can tell, it should work. The wire in the main harness that goes to the pump on mine is, and always has be, a black with white stripe. The other side of this switch (from the original switch) was a black wire that ran from the heater switch. That is now unused, but I'll use it for the radio perhaps (there was nothing in the main harness for a radio). I may get all that back in this weekend -- so I'll know soon.
Roger
65 Falcon 2-door Wagon
63 Falcon Ranchero