starting system bugs

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

splavin90

starting system bugs

Post by splavin90 »

okay, in the aftermath of my glorious day of getting my truck started for the first time, i found a few bugs in the starting system, that i hope that some of you can help me figure out.

first off- for wiring an entire duraspark ignition system for the first time, i think i did a good job. getting my engine to fire first try. :D

i put in a new starter sylenoid because the old one didn't work. (or so i thought)

so i wired everything up, plugged everything in. i went to turn the key, and NOTHING! so i just was like, hmmm. i turned the key to the off position, and i figured, that maybe the wires were switched around from the getgo. i go in my truck put the truck in the 'on' position and it started cranking all by it's self. my uncle told me that the it was the ignition switch (where you put you key in) and it was broken or something.

so i ended up taking the wire off that goes to the starter, and turning on the starter by putting it ti the positive termanal on the battery.(i did this because i really wanted to hear it run tonight)

so i really don't want to have to get out of my truck to turn my truck on, how could i have gone wrong with something..

it is not the NSS because i tired it back temporarly. while i'm troubleshooting through all of this.

any advise helps.

thanks in advance!

:D 8)
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: starting system bugs

Post by fordman »

something i learned a few minutes ago. is to swap the two small wires on the soliniod and it should start.
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

i did do that, but it started cranking over in the "on" position all by itself without going all the way to the start.

montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

i would guess faulty ignition switch as well....about 10-12 bucks
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

how does a starter solenoid work?

if i ran a wire from the battery, to a switch, and then from the swtich to the S termanal, what would i do for the T termanal? ground the T termanal?

i don't HAVE to have my starter start up by by the key.

i am thinking i am going to put a hidden switch somewhere to engauge my starter.

and i'm going to put another hidden switch for a coil cutoff. so that even if someone knew where my starter switch was, they wouldn't be able to start it.

kid

Post by kid »

A Solenoid is a relay with one large disc contact inside. THe battery terminal sets above one side of the disc and the starter termincal above the other side of the disc. The T terminal also sets above the disc. DO not ground it.

When the S (Start) terminal goes hot it feeds a coil that is grounded through the bracket to ground. The coil pulls up on a plunger and makes the disc pull up and touch all 3 other terminals. B+(battery), ST(starter) and T are all connected by the disc and power flows.

The disc rotates a tiny bit everytime you engage it to keep the burn spots on the copper disc from building up on one spot and stopping the flow of current. The coil itself is not rated for continous service and will burn out if wired to stay hot. I have put a large resistor in line with the S terminal to control the current flow of the coil to run a roof full of flood lights. The coil survived but hook it up straight and bye bye solenoid.