2 voltage wires to rear wiper motor-one is dead

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Backin72

2 voltage wires to rear wiper motor-one is dead

Post by Backin72 »

Rear wiper on 94 Explorer Sport stopped working about a month ago. There are three wires going to the motor, red, white and black. Black is ground and the red and white I assume are carrying voltage. Red has voltage and nothing at all on the white. I checked the switch and there is voltage on both the red and white wires, so somewhere inbetween there is a break. Anyone have any ideas?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 2 voltage wires to rear wiper motor-one is dead

Post by fordman »

follow the wire from the switch and see where it leads to. if it goes to the fuse box first and then on to the motor. check the fuse. if it doesn't then follow the wire testing it all the way until you get to the motor. they have pin point current testers so you don't have to cut into the wire. most of the wires are going to junction in several places to. check those junction plugs to see if they are putting power to both sides of the plugs.
Backin72

re: 2 voltage wires to rear wiper motor-one is dead

Post by Backin72 »

Fixed! Turned out to be the liftgate wiper disable switch. My latch for the glass was rusted big time. Picked up a used latch and disable switch in excellent condition for $2.

Thanks for the help.